Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grouping in parts list

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RANDYWINDERS
960 Views, 3 Replies

grouping in parts list

I have an assembly that I have the BOM property set to phantom.

Consists of 7 parts, each have a bom property of purchased.

All parts are the same but cut to length in the shop.

partslist are based on parts only BOM

If I create a parts list based on just the assembly, I can group the items, they all have the same part number, and display the group participants,  and the item numbers and everything works as expected.

If I use this assembly as a subassembly in a larger assembly and create a partslist with the same group keys, the subassembly does not show as a group, does not show group participants or corresponding item numbers.

What I'm trying to do is show total length of a product that we buy on a spool for this assembly. To do this I'm using substitution in the qty column. Most parts are purchased each, these are purchased by length.

What would cause the parts list to display as a group in one list but not in the other?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RANDYWINDERS
in reply to: RANDYWINDERS

here is the parts list for the subassembly showing the grouping

and the parts list showing the assembly used as a subassembly with the grouping not working as expected.

I have made most parts invisible except for three of different types showing that the substitution is working. The chesterton packing shows qty as *varied* when it should show the grouping as in the first parts list

Message 3 of 4
RANDYWINDERS

Just another note. When i set the "When rows merged" drop down in the substitution tab of the format column dialog window to "First Value" I get "Incompatible Units Error," When I set it to "Sum of Values" I get "Varies."

Message 4 of 4
-niels-

Not sure if this will help, but if the *varies* only shows up with the parts you put in a sub-assembly, how did you set the part merge setting in the BOM for that sub-assembly?

BOM_Merge.PNG

If it's turned on, it might be what's causing your troubles.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report