Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frame generator notch

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
3095 Views, 12 Replies

frame generator notch

Hi,

I can put a gap when i use trim - extend to face, why can't i do that with
notch. Everyone knows when you notch each end of a beam member you can leave
it fit length or shop worker will come to your desk with a grinder and offer
you to grind of the beam so they can fit between the two member, because is
was cut a bit too long. Anyhow, shorten frame member won't work since i have
a notch. How can i do a notch with a 1/32" gap?

EL
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
AaronLong-Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi EL,

Currently, Frame Generator Notch don't support gap which you can add in Trim-Extend to Face or other endtreatments.

While, there is a workaround. Please follow below steps;
1. Add a bigger profile in one member's sketch, but make sure this bigger profile will not participate the member's extrusion, so member shape will not be changed.
2. Perform Notch. select the member in 1st step as the yellow member in notch dialog, then you can get a gap.
Actually, Notch will trim the member using the biggest profile in the member extrusion's sketch. So, carefully change the member extrusion's sketch, you can get gap.

Please see attached picture for more detail.

Thanks
-Aaron

Aaron Long
Software QA Manager
Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
eleblanc
in reply to: Anonymous

I cant seem to be able to make this sketch offset trick work in Inventor 2013?

What is the "apply notch profile" option?

Message 4 of 13
eleblanc
in reply to: eleblanc

Anyone?

Message 5 of 13
eleblanc
in reply to: eleblanc

Bump

Message 6 of 13

Message 7 of 13

Does this only work with custom frames, I had an issue with the notch feature and just did an extrusion at the part level of the frame peices. much more work than apply a notch with a gap.

Attach is an image of 2 HSS frame member that intersect, i did a notch and the overlapping tube has no gap (red arrows) and wraps around the rounds of the tube (black arrows). I didnt think there was any way to make a notch gap or get rid of that rounded part of the notch.

If i were to "adjust" the notch and edit the notch profile, does this mean I would have to do that for each type of frame member I use? If this is the case then, I suppose it is quicker to just edit the frame member that needs the special notch.

The video in the link below shows the example using a custom frame member.

Thanks!!

Sean Farr

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 8 of 13

9 years later and still no progress on inventor notches?

Message 9 of 13

Hi Joel,

Do you mind sharing the files exhibiting the behavior? It is possible the issue is still unresolved but it is also possible it has been resolved with an alternative workflow or a defect fix. It is hard to tell if your case is the same without seeing the files. Please share the files so experts here can comment further.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 13

I tried doing this as per AArons' reply.  it doesn't work..i just want gap in the notches..(no option at this moment) the best thing is probably just edit the parts individually in this case I have quite a bit.

Hi EL,

Currently, Frame Generator Notch don't support gap which you can add in Trim-Extend to Face or other endtreatments.

While, there is a workaround. Please follow below steps;
1. Add a bigger profile in one member's sketch, but make sure this bigger profile will not participate the member's extrusion, so member shape will not be changed.
2. Perform Notch. select the member in 1st step as the yellow member in notch dialog, then you can get a gap.
Actually, Notch will trim the member using the biggest profile in the member extrusion's sketch. So, carefully change the member extrusion's sketch, you can get gap.

Please see attached picture for more detail.

Thanks
-Aaron

Message 11 of 13

Aaron,

Here it is 10 years later, and I finally found this post.

Too bad I didn't find it in 2010!

Works like a charm!!

Thanx ... Chris

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 12 of 13

But how does this work when select pipes and beams from the frame generator? Houw can i creaste a gap without using Thicken / offset? Now i have those select every face of the beam.

Hopelfully does somebody know how i can save time.

thanks JvW

Message 13 of 13

where are using Inventor 2018.  Now i'm going too create a custom pipe which haas the diameter contains the diametre of the pipe and the gap.

Hopefully there is an way in Inventor without create custom parts or have change every notch with the command Thicken / offset

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report