Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frame ends

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
372 Views, 7 Replies

frame ends

Hi

I have a basic frame attached in Inventor 2012.The bottom of the frames legs need to be closed up (like a metal plate welded on to close) with a threaded centre hole to allow an adjustable foot to be placed

How would i model the changes above to the frame?

Ray  

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: Anonymous

We cap off tube ends by opening the tube part in it's own window and adding an extrude feature on the end needing the cap.  In your case, you would also add a hole feature.  If you need the capped piece to show up as a separate part in your BOM, then you will have to model a piece that fits the hole, and constrain it to the tube in your frame assembly.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

That helped....thanks

I attached modified frame files.Is this how you would model the Cap and plate

Regards

Ray

Message 4 of 8
cbenner
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks Cbenner for offering help.

Could anyone with IV 2012 have a look and offer there opinion?

Ray

Message 6 of 8
rdyson

Personally, I would have modeled them as solid bodies since, in reality, they will be separate parts welded (?) to the frame members

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 8
JDMather

While adding the features to the frame member is one way to do it - are you sure that is how you want to do it?
Who is going to fabricate your frames?
I would talk to the fabricator and find out if they would prefer only the finished drawing (in which case features rather than parts might be OK).
Or would they prefer each individual part drawing? (rather than have caps added as features)

Doing as features rather than parts has implications for the parts list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you all for all the good pointers.I will do the parts separately.

I do i have a last question.I attached a picture of a eye bolt.Again would you do this as a separate part.I would add the eye bolt as a separate solid part.

Cheers

Ray H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report