Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

find all assemblies in which component X is placed

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cadlad
505 Views, 6 Replies

find all assemblies in which component X is placed

Within a top level assembly, is there a way to find all assemblies in which component X (either part or assembly) is placed? I ask because I need to resolve duplicate filenames (877 of them to be exact) before Vaulting a project.

Dell Precision T3610 - Windows 7 SP1, 64x, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (driver 9.18.13.5306), Inventor 2013 SP2 Update 6 - *Autodesk Inventor Professional Certified*, AutoCAD 2014 SP1, Vault Professional 2014 SP1, 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: cadlad

I think Design Assistant has where used capabilities.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
swalton

Design Assistant can do what you want, but it might be slow.  Look at the Tools-Find-Where Used menu pick. 

You might be better off creating a new, temperary Vault on your ADMS server just for this project.  Turn off unique filenames for this Vault and load your project into it.  Use the Where-used tool in vault and the replace component command in IV to clean up the files.  You can also re-work the folder structure if needed.

Once it is all clean, download a fresh copy to your temp workspace and use Windows Explorer to put it where the production Vault can see it.  Then load it into the production Vault as normal.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 7
blair
in reply to: Cadmanto

Yes, DA has this feature, there also is a Find-Where-Used function in Vault as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
cadlad

Would you please give feedback to this post? It explains a bit more in detail. Thanks! http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-General/Resolving-duplicate-filenames/td-p/4773315
Dell Precision T3610 - Windows 7 SP1, 64x, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (driver 9.18.13.5306), Inventor 2013 SP2 Update 6 - *Autodesk Inventor Professional Certified*, AutoCAD 2014 SP1, Vault Professional 2014 SP1, 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator
Message 6 of 7
cadlad

Autoloader gave me the report of duplicate filenames and their location. What that report lacks is what assemblies these components reside in. I can obtain a Hierarchy Report from Design Assistant. So, between the Hierarchy Report and Autoloader Duplicate Filename Report, it will just be a matter of opening each assembly inside of Design Assistant and making the problem filenames unique. (o.O) Oh joy.

Thanks all who offered suggestions.

Message 7 of 7
raith-mb

You can use the tool Clever from CoolOrange - yust Google this Name. You can download a 30 day Test Version here: http://www.coolorange.com/en/products/clever Clever will create a data base of all your Inventor files. It takes about 1 hour to index 10.000 files. After indexing you can open ech duplicate part aftr each other an Show "Parents". Then you candirectly open the IAM by clicking the thumbnail. I use it, but it actual has some Trouble recognising the replace of a part. That means the part will be shown still in the IAM for a few Minutes after replace. But anyway it is a cool tool. Much Fun 🙂 Roland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report