Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fillets on complex shapes

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
vivalasmecca
482 Views, 3 Replies

fillets on complex shapes

I have a shape that happens to have many nodes; it was simple to extrude it (inventor saw it as a complete shape) but adding fillets is another story. each tiny segment requires a click to select it. is there any way to simplify this — either through simplifying the path somehow or by selecting the edge in some other manner? 

i saw a thread on the forums about imported 2d vector files with a similar issue. I did import my file but it came from rhino. everything is fine except this one issue. i guess i could go back to rhino but i would prefer not to.

i have attached a small screenshot of one area of my sketch.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: vivalasmecca

What is the manufacturing tolerance for the part?

My guess is the curve could be replaced with arcs and be well within the tolerance.

If not arcs, far far far fewer points.  More nodes in a spline does not equate to a better spline, in fact, just the opposite is true.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
vivalasmecca
in reply to: JDMather

The part will be machined to .005", and admittedly, the way it came into Inventor, the nodes degraded the artwork from the original. I just wish the arcs had been maintained so that I don't have to redraw anything.

Message 4 of 4
jakefowler
in reply to: vivalasmecca

Hi vivalasmecca,

Many thanks for posting this issue.

May I ask where the original shape definition came from, and how it was imported into Inventor? It sounds like this is arriving into Inventor as a heavily segmented polyline: if so, I think it's likely to be difficult to work with, and in the end may still give sub-optimal results. If your shape originally existed in another CAD package as a smooth curve, it should be possible to bring this into Inventor more cleanly: this would retain the design intent better, as well as probably removing the need to perform this kind of filleting.

Many thanks!
Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report