Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extrude text

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
amasva
3318 Views, 6 Replies

extrude text

Hi

I'm trying to extrude some text with the font type "CommercialScript BT". In Inventor 2011 this was not a problem. In Inventor 2012 and 2013 I get the error:   

Create extruded feature failed
     Part4: Errors occurred during update
       Extrusion3: Could not build this Extrusion
         Self-intersecting loop found in this profile.  Remove the intersection by adding a sketch point at curve intersections or by changing non-profile geometry to construction geometry.

Is there a way to solve this? I have tried to extrude other fonts without any problem. I can also extrude one single letter with the font "CommercialScript BT" without any problem but as soon as I writes a word I get the error.

Asle Martin Svastuen
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ulitmate 2012 Sp1 / Vault Collaboration 2012 Sp1
HP EliteBook 8560w
Intel(R)Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 2,0GHz 2,0GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 X64 SP1
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
PhilSaw
in reply to: amasva

I'm running 2012 Pro and managed to extrude the word "TEST" in that font using size 10 for height with no issue.

What size are you trying for?

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
Intel(R) Core(TM i7-2600 CPU, Quadro 2000 graphics card, 8G RAM
Message 3 of 7
PhilSaw
in reply to: PhilSaw

Just tried lower case at 3mm high and it did indeed fail, plus I attempted other sizes without success.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 7
amasva

Hi

If I write the word TEXT with upper case the text will extrude. Most likely because the letters is not in contact with each other. When I writes the same word with lower case the text will not extrude. Is this a bug in Inventor or is it meant to be this way? In earlier versions of inventor this font was extruding just fine..

Asle Martin Svastuen
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ulitmate 2012 Sp1 / Vault Collaboration 2012 Sp1
HP EliteBook 8560w
Intel(R)Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 2,0GHz 2,0GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 X64 SP1
Message 5 of 7
PhilSaw

I tried embossing the text but to no avail, which leads me to believe this may be something that Autodesk might need to look into. I also tried spacing the text, but again, no dice.

I can understand why it is saying that there is a self intersecting loop though. As the text is meant to imitate joined up handwriting, there are overlaps between each letter, hence the self intersection. However this doesn't explain why it doesn't work when you space them apart...

Also found on another forum that a Gothic text was not extruding, so it would be useful if Autodesk could supply a list of text fonts that you can't extrude or emboss.

Sorry I can't help any further!

Message 6 of 7
SBix26

I did a bit of testing, and I believe that the problem is limited to specific characters in the set.  Of all the alphanumeric characters, I was able to successfully extrude all but the following: D, p, q, and s.  I don't know why these four are a problem, but I can extrude the entire lowercase alphabet in one string, leaving out the three "bad" ones.

Message 7 of 7
Recoil6

Did anyone found a solution to this error? I am getting this error too, and it is only in certain characters. Is there something that could fix this characters? Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report