Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edit grayed out inside an assembly

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
elise_moss
5969 Views, 13 Replies

edit grayed out inside an assembly

Using Inventor 2011, I have an assembly with two parts.  Only the assembly file is open, but I can't edit either of the parts inside the assembly.  Why not?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: elise_moss

Are the parts files also open in the background?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
elise_moss
in reply to: JDMather

no, only the assembly file is open.  I can edit one part in-context, but not the second one.

Message 4 of 14
mflayler2
in reply to: JDMather

Are they listed by the Project as Library components in your ipj?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 14
elise_moss
in reply to: mflayler2

no, these are both Inventor parts, not content center/library parts.

Message 6 of 14
mflayler2

By library I do mean in a library path though, not a Content Center library part.

Can you attach the assembly and two files in a ZIP and a screen shot of your ipj options?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 14
elise_moss

no, the attachment would exceed 20 MB.  No, all files are in the workspace folder, not the library folder.

Message 8 of 14
mflayler2

If it doesn't right itself or if you do not find an answer I can do a Webex with you, but I don't have your email address in my system?  Are you still a prof at De Anza college, or of Moss Designs, or do I have the wrong elise?

Message 9 of 14
elise_moss

No, I haven't taught at DeAnza for a while.  I teach at Laney and SFSU now.:)

Message 10 of 14
mflayler2

Connect with me on LinkedIn if you are using it, or send me a comment on my blog so I can get your information without public disclosure.

Message 11 of 14
JDMather

I assume you have rebooted and the behavior persists.
Does the behavior persist if you delete all part files in the assembly except one in question?
If so, what is the filesize if you roll up the EOP of the part and save and zip?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 14
Mark_Playle

I think the answer lies in the fact that iParts cannot be edited in an upper level assembly.

See: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Editing-iParts-Within-The-Context-of-an-Assembly/td-p...

"iPart factory is only allowed to be edited in its own window. The iPart you are seeing in the assembly is a member file, not the factory. Unless it is a custom iPart member, regular iPart member is not allowed to be edited in context of an assembly and also none of the Part Modeling commands are available even if you open the member file in its own window"

Autodesk ought to enable iPart/s to be edited within an assembly and apply the change to all the factory parts, - where the parameters cause the other member parts to fail then these can be indiviually addressed. This would save lots of time. The benefits of iParts are hampered by this drawback.

Just the ability of projecting through feature positions from the Assembly to the iPart would be useful.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark_Playle

Yes this needs sorting - it's very frustrating.

Just the ability to project would be useful.

PS. I'm using Inventor Professional 2014

Message 14 of 14
peterclayton2729
in reply to: Anonymous

My assembly was only 'Load express', so I did a 'full load' on assemble tab which did the trick . . .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report