Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

easy way to make this part

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
dane_m_steyne
780 Views, 14 Replies

easy way to make this part

Hi,

i have made this part but it is almost 8 meg due to the pattern features...is there a way to make this part identical but much smaller in size?

Thanks

Dane

AI-2013

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
cbenner
in reply to: dane_m_steyne

Dang... 5 minutes after reading this, I'm still waiting for the part to open... please stand by.  😄

Locked it up cold.  Can you post a screenshot of what you're making?

Message 3 of 15
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

I was in the same boat! Finally got it to open... for those who are reading this but do not want to open it due to time, it is a rod with a mesh covering.  The holes in the mesh are user created around the entire surface. 

I attached a screen shot of the part for those that want to assist him.

Regards,mesh.png

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 4 of 15
mikejones
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

indrical surface to a perforated one insteadAre the holes in it for appearance or for manufacturing information? If they are required for appearance only why not change the appearance of the cylindrical face to a perforated type instead.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 15
swhite

Using 2011 so cant open the part, but if you patterned the cutouts, did you select optimized pattern?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 6 of 15

Thanks

The optimized option was greyed out....i attach a picture....it is a plastic white mesh on a brown filter ...  would it be simpler to make individual parts and then make assembly...make the mesh using white overlay..???

Cheers

Message 7 of 15
swhite

You might try making a substitute of your part and using it in the model instead of the actual part.

The Optimized selection was not available during your patterns? Available on the drop down menu at the bottom. Although in my experience it doesn't really help alot, but does decrease file size and opening time a bit. My only concern is it might take a long time to create a derived part, and in the end could be just as slow on opening, but in general derived parts will speed things up.

Optimized Patterns.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 15
cbenner

I agree with a previous question... is the mesh pattern needed for manufacturing?  If not you could just apply a mesh appearance to the overlay, which would greatly simplify the part.  Just an example:

mesh.JPG

Message 9 of 15

Thank you

This is for visual purposes only...How do i apply the Mesh appearance to the overlay ... could you post a basic example or steps on how to apply

Much appreciated

Dane

Inventor 2013

Message 10 of 15
swhite

I don't have a mesh pattern, but the default Expanded metal 04 doesn't look too bad, but am sure there is a mesh for inventor somewhere online, or perhaps one of the readers can provide one. Simply open your part, righ-click on a face and go to properties, choose the look you like. The face option will allow you to use a multibody part so the ends are not the same pattern. Didn't bother modeling the inside for this.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 11 of 15
karthur1

Dan,

If you apply a texture, it will not appear in your idw unless it is a rendered view.  This may not be an issue for you cause I dont know what you will ultimately do with the part. Just saying, thats all.

Kirk

Message 12 of 15
swhite
in reply to: karthur1

Good point, but can always do a fill pattern for the drawing view.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 13 of 15
dane_m_steyne
in reply to: karthur1

Thanks to all.....i will see if i can find a mesh overlay

Cheers

Message 14 of 15

Still have had no luck finding a plastic mesh look overlay.....any suggestions on how to get the plastic mesh look overlay...Chris where did you get the mesh appearance in your post please...looks like a good example?

Thanks Swhite

Message 15 of 15
LT.Rusty

I didn't check for a mesh texture, but this is my go-to site for plastic textures: http://www.mb3d.co.uk/mb3d/Plastic_Seamless_and_Tileable_High_Res_Textures.html

There's a bunch of things there that you can play with, and some that you wouldn't really expect to work might work out very well for purposes other than what you'd expect. For instance, I use a straw pattern (that I acquired there) for a bump map for injection molded HDPE. 😄

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums