Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dwg to idw change with base view?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
PENengr
460 Views, 5 Replies

dwg to idw change with base view?

We've got a new dwg template and we found that when we bring in a base view on a new drawing, the drawing changed to an idw format.

Does anyone know why?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: PENengr

Because the .idw is the natural format for inventor drawings to accept model views.  The .dwg is acceptable and is usable in conjuction with Autocad.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: PENengr

What version of Inventor?  Can you post your template for someone else to try?  I've never heard of a file switching file types without a deliberate action by the user!

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

I am using 2012 and that is the way our templates are setup as well.  The templates in Inventor (ours at least) are .dwg files.  When you start a new Inventor drawing and save it they save as .idw .   The actual file is not changing from an .dwg to .idw, but rather converting persa through the save process as a result of a new drawing creation.

Hope that makes sense.  Are your Inventor templates .idw files?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott, 

Our drawing templates are .idw files, so I don't have direct experience with this.  But I'm even more mystified after your explanation-- how does a .dwg drawing template change to a .idw drawing, without the file actually changing?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 6 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

I really don't have an explaination for you.  All I know is when I started here that is the way they are.  I have several times added perameters, iLogic rules and have made several changes to the .dwg templates.  They work great in creating idw drawings.  I guess you could experiment with it and try it yourself.  At least this way you would get an idea of how it works.  Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report