Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different BOM reference structure in same .IAM possible??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
VIROrene
361 Views, 4 Replies

different BOM reference structure in same .IAM possible??

Let's say i want to draw a bike. In the 2D IDW of the wheel I want to see the frame as a reference. So, in the .iam of the wheel the frame subassembly is inserted and checked as reference. Also, a new level of detail is created that surpressed the frame.This level of detail is used in the overall assemby of the bike.

So, I end up with several subassembly's that contain other subassembly's just to reference them in the IDW. It would be better to have just one master assemby and create several IDW's from that assembly with different LOD and reference settings.

What is your approach?

Rene

Inventor 2012 - 64 bit - build190 - Windows 7
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi VIROrene,

I think what I would do is use a Postional Representation in combination with View Repersentations at the top level assembly. And place an overlay view in the drawing.

• Create the View Rep for the wheel with everything else suppressed (you can copy your existing LOD to a view rep by right clicking the LOD and choosing Copy to View Rep).
  • Create a Pos Rep called Wheel also (but don't create any constraint overrides as you normally would for a pos rep).
  • Create the LOD for the frame with everything else suppressed.
  • In the drawing, place a view of the wheel view rep.
  • Then use the Overlay View tool to place a view of the Frame view rep (using the posistional rep) on top of the wheel view, and choose the Layer option: As Overlay.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

What's the point in referencing a bike frame in a drawing to make a wheel? The wheel should be able to be constructed without any knowledge of the frame. You are just making life harder for yourself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5

Thank you. This is a good trick; I am gonna try it. Not quite sure if the BOM structure goed right for each LOD and overall LOD. Will see...

Rene

Message 5 of 5
VIROrene
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr wrote: You are just making life harder for yourself.

Haha, tell it to my customer please!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report