Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom content for routing systems

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
elise_moss
1161 Views, 20 Replies

custom content for routing systems

1)  I have created a custom content library for wires, tubes, and pipes

2)  I have copied over the categories from the existing default Inventor routing system library to the custom library

3)  I have created an ipart with the OD, ID, and material properties for the custom tube part  There is only one size tube, so only one row of data

4)  When I try to publish it to the custom library, I get the message:  nocategories.gif

I have the categories as shown:

category.gif

The ipart looks like this:

tube-ipart.gif

I feel like I am missing something, but can't figure out what.

Any ideas?

thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
elise_moss
in reply to: elise_moss

I figured out what I was missing.

I needed to go through the Tube and Pipe Authoring.

thanks!

Message 3 of 21
elise_moss

save error.gif

Well, I am getting closer.

I have printed out at least five different help pdfs trying to get to this point.  Thanks, Autodesk!

I assume they are saying that I haven't configured my content center libraries in the active project.

content center configs.gif

Except that I did that right from the get-go.

The part was published successfully in the Content Center:

content center published.gif

So, I am stuck again.

Here are the steps I have gone through.

1)  Created the basic part.

2)  Turned it into an ipart, added Nominal Size on the OTHER tab NOT the custom parameters in order to be able to save, exported the material definition, so I could use it again

3)  When through the Tube & Pipe Authoring tool to add connectors, etc.

4)  Added it to the Content Center

Now I am trying to create a style using the custom content in the Tubes & Pipes Style Manager.

I have three or four more of these to do, so I really need to figure this out.

thanks!

Message 4 of 21
cwhetten

The Tube & Pipe module is very picky about how content center parts are prepared for use.  It may be that it is expecting some parameters that don't exist in your parts.  I see that you have OD and ID parameters, but it may also be expecting a nominal size parameter as well as a schedule parameter (see the "Tube Styles" image attached).  I don't see these as columns in your iPart.

Some part categories require different parameters than other categories.  I haven't authored and published any tube category parts, so I don't know exactly what is required for these, but you can see the required parameters when you are going through the steps to publish the part to the CC library.  I believe it is the third step in the publishing wizard that allows you to map your iPart columns (parameters) to the required category parameters.  In the "Mapping Parameters During Publish" image attached, you can see the expected parameters for this part (this example is in the Pipe category).  The required parameters have a yellow background.  If you have authored your iPart properly, the parameters should map themselves automatically.

I hope this helps.

-cwhetten

Message 5 of 21
elise_moss
in reply to: cwhetten

I placed the Nominal Size parameter in the Other tab per a posting from someone.  I am not sure about the Schedule parameter.  I will have to check on that one.

I wish it was a bit more straight forward...feels like a lot of dotting i's and crossing t's.

elise

Message 6 of 21
cwhetten

I hear you on that.  Can you post your part? 

Message 7 of 21
mflayler2

You HAVE to use the categories Inventor ships with.  So when you copied them over you have to have the same category structure.

You created new folders there which is a no-no for Tube and Pipe content.  With other items it is fine, but the Routed Systems stuff is very particular.

Copy the category structure first and then try again instead of using your own category structure.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 8 of 21
mflayler2
in reply to: mflayler2

Also, when you decide to create a style (after you get to that point) do it in the Tube and Pipe assembly template.  This is a template only found in the Design Data folder of your Style Library.  If you add it there, it will be available in any new assembly that use a Tube and Pipe Run.  Otherwise you will have to import each time.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 9 of 21
cwhetten

Ah, good eye, Mark.  I didn't even notice that.

Message 10 of 21
elise_moss

Attached is the ipart for the tube.  This is Inventor 2011.

Message 11 of 21
elise_moss

Thank you very much, Mark!  That is good information.

Message 12 of 21
subpartner

I copied the file structure and still get the same error.

copystructure.gif

I then published the ipart.

I then opened the template at C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Design Data\Tube & Pipe per your instructions.

Next, went to Tube & Piping Styles to create a new style.

newstyle.gif

Right clicked to create a New Style.

Browsed for the published part.

browseforpublishedpart.gif

The published part was there just fine.

generaltab.gif

Rules tab:

rules.gif

Config error message:

config error.gif

This is so frustrating!  There are so many steps and it is pretty obvious that not everything is documented properly in the Help.  There should be a trouble-shooting manual for creating custom content. 

Message 13 of 21
mflayler2
in reply to: subpartner

Or you can work with a reseller to get this setup.  We have done this numerous times with our clients.  Yea, the help perhaps isn't as clear as it could be, but to me it reads just fine (however, I already know what needs to be done).

Did you check to make sure your active project has that library loaded?

Did you Author the iPart before publishing it?

Also, is this subpartner the same person as the OP.  If so, it gets confusing who I am working with if the names are different.

Message 14 of 21
cwhetten

I am working on it right now.  I got it to author and publish correctly, and I eventually got it to successfully createa AND save a tube style in the TnP module.  But I am trying to figure out exactly which steps I took were the key to success.  I will post back when I pin it down.

-cwhetten

Message 15 of 21
cbenner

Might also point out that you can add custom folders in  the CC, but remember when authoring to select the "other" category.  Then you can place it wherever you want it in the CC when you publish the part.

Message 16 of 21
mflayler2
in reply to: cbenner

I think I just need to make a video for this... 🙂  now to find the time in the day.

Elise, if you are still having trouble after chwelton and cbenner let me know, and I might set up a webex for you if I have the time.

Message 17 of 21
elise_moss

Thanks!  That is a huge help.

I am sure I am missing just one or two steps, but when you have a 20 step process!?

Message 18 of 21
elise_moss

Thanks, Mark, that is much appreciated because it is such a process.

And yes, I posted under subpartner by mistake.  I teach at an ATC and had logged into my parter account...didn't realise when I moved over to this forum that I was still logged in under my partner account.  I had to log out and log back in as Me, so I apologize for that confusion. 

elise

Message 19 of 21
cwhetten

Alright, I figured it out.  It turns out to be really odd.  All I did was modify the authoring so that the Schedule Number parameter was mapped to the Schedule parameter that you created instead of the Stock Number parameter that it was set to.  I don't know why one parameter works when the other doesn't.  The steps in the attached PDF show exactly what I did to get your part to work (the first part you posted).

If this doesn't work for you, post back and we will see what we can do.

-cwhetten

Message 20 of 21
elise_moss

Wow!  That must have taken you some time to figure out.  Thank you very much for working through it.

That's why a nice addition to Autodesk's Help PDFs would be a trouble-shooting guide for creating custom content.  So many little hidden traps.

I will check it out and let you know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report