Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create parts & assembly from data (i.e. spreadsheet)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nhahn
369 Views, 3 Replies

create parts & assembly from data (i.e. spreadsheet)

Is it possible to create parts and an assembly from a spreadsheet or other data source?  Using iLogic, the API, whatever....  The goal is to create it from scratch rather than modifying an existing assembly. (I know it's possible to drive them via parameters, etc. ) 

But what I want to do is create an assembly (of hundreds of items) from a spreadsheet that lists the part type, size, postions, and orientations of each part.  The parts ideally would be iParts from a small group of parent items but the sizes must be variable in some cases and from a list of sizes in other cases.

I'm essentially thinking of a custom frame generator - but where the parts are more arbitrary iParts and instead of providing a sketch I provide coordinates and position angles for each part (or the endpoints of beams, etc).

Constraining them would be great but I'll happily settle for grounded in proper positions and orientations.

[This is for modeling the results of a generative design tool if anyone cares.]

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mdavis22569
in reply to: nhahn

Relying a lot on a single Spreadsheet IMO ..but yes it can be done in a spreadsheet. All of the dimensions from all the parts are exported to a single or multiple spreadsheets that you can adjust. We have quite a few table (spreadsheet) driven assemblies with anywhere from 15 to 100 parts in it. However you'll have to make the first model and build the spreadsheet. Have to put in all the constraints ... Ilogic, Excel nor Inventor can just guess this ..if it can ..the code would have to be unreal!

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
4donwan4
in reply to: nhahn

This is going to involve some unique customization and really cannot be accomplished with out of box install.

Regards,

Don

Message 4 of 4
nhahn
in reply to: 4donwan4

Thanks to the above for the responses.  I agree it is relying a lot on a single spreadsheet - but that's OK in this instance.  And I have also come to the same conclusion that it's not available out of the box. Anyone know if this is possible with some API programming and/or with the Engineer-to-order (ETO) package?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report