Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create a simple mold using a solid body and split

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
safiredesignengineers
1155 Views, 5 Replies

create a simple mold using a solid body and split

Hi Group

if i draw up a 3d sold part as the finished part, can i then draw a new rectangle solid body over the top of this and split the new solid body using the part as the split tool?

the idea being that i am left with a rectangle plate with a female 3d impression of the finished part in the top.

I can't seem to use the part as a split tool?

regards Adrian

using inventor 2013

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi
i think you should check the Combine command. You build your cube around the 3d solid and Combine. There you can cut the cube with the shape of the 3d model you build. After that you use split and cut the cube in half. the mold is done
Dan
Message 3 of 6

Hi Dan

thanks, I knew it was possible to do this simply. the terminology is not good somtimes in inventor I was looking to cut / subtract solids and although this is possible and works with the combine tool it is not obviouse that it cuts / removes when it says "combine" !

anyway, perfect results and thanks for your imput.

regards Adrian

Message 4 of 6

"i think you should check the Combine command. You build your cube around the 3d solid and Combine. There you can cut the cube with the shape of the 3d model you build. After that you use split and cut the cube in half. the mold is done."

1. Edit cube

2. select Copy object. (select the subtraction part and choose solid in dialog box.)

3. select Combine. (cube is base, toolbody is part, select subtract)

4. select split bottom icon is split body.

What is the split tool?

Thanks in advance for the help.

David Arnold

Designer-New Dies

Motor City Stamping Inc.

Message 5 of 6

The Split tool is another command. Use a midplane for the split.
Dan
Message 6 of 6

Hi David

it works a treat, I just could't find it straight away!

personally i think the tools could be organised / worded better.  perhaps instead of calling the tool "combine"

it should be called "solid body editing"

the split command is good but uses a sketch or suface for the split, i suppose it wouldn't really be that hard for autodesk to actually include solid body splitting tools in this section which would make more sense, so the split command would allow use of solid bodies as a split tool as well, not much work to be added but would make good sense 8-)

perhaps just have a "split" section for splitting all and a "combine" section to combine?

regards Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report