Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

continuously crashing on certain parts, assemblies, idw

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
berry.lejeune
655 Views, 14 Replies

continuously crashing on certain parts, assemblies, idw

Hi everyone,

been having big problems the entire day with crashing of inventor 2014 when opening all kind of parts, assemblies and idw.

with certain parts the systems crashes and with others it doesn't, the same with assemblies. When opening an assembly with all components suppressed it works fine, but when unsuppressing the parts the system goes down again.

Even when trying to check in an assembly completely surpressed it goes down

This causing big issues because I can't get any jobs done.

all sp installed, windows 7 pro 64bit , 48 GB RAM  

thanks

Berry

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: berry.lejeune

Berry,

Have you restarted your machine lately?

Did this just start happening with 2014 or was it happening with these files before?

Can you reporduce this same behavior on a different machine with the same files that are crashing yours?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15
berry.lejeune
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Scott

I've had the problems yesterday and when coming back in this morning it happened again.

The same files have been opened on other systems and they are working normal on them.

regards

Message 4 of 15
GSE_Dan_A

Sometimes non-native Inventor parts (ie parts taken from websites or parts created in other software) can cause strange behaviour.  I have experienced bogging of my machine and random crashes due to parts that I have DLed from manufacturers sites.  The only option for me was to re-model the part in Inventor.  Perhaps this may be your issue?

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 5 of 15
Cadmanto

I kind of makes me wonder when you were upgraded to 2014 if there was a clean uninstall done of the old version before upgrading.

I am thinking there is some setting that is being carried over that is giving you fits.

Before I suggest you do a complete uninstall then do a clean install again, is there any softwares (anti-viral etc.) on your machine only that would hinder performance?  Ones that aren't on the other machines?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 15
bob_holland

Berry,

If a different user logs into that computer, does it work correctly?

If so, I have attached instructions on how to reset the users Inventor Environment.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 7 of 15
gazadder
in reply to: bob_holland

Hi, I have found this thread when searching for a similar problem and yet to find a solution.

Problem is some computers in the office are crashing when trying to unsuppress parts. I have found that the crash occurs because the master file has been copied. For some reason the master files (when initially saved in master level of Detail) will always work but as soon as they are copied to start a new job the error occures.

If the copied file is opened on Master level of detail and saved, then back to the original level of detail the problem is solved.

Again the crash occures when the master file is copied and only on certain computers which seems to point to a windows setting?

Does anyone have any solutions to this please?

Cheers

Message 8 of 15

I recently experienced this with Inventor 2013, it normally happens after I rename my parts file name and description to better suit our file management system. (Windchill). I learned I had to export all the files before rename (To my C Drive) , rename and change all iproperties starting with .ipts than working my way up, open the assembly and path to the new part names, than open the drawing and path to the new assembly name. Change all the names of the files in the Windchill system to match what I wanted, than import all my files from my C: drive back to Windchill and overwrite the old ones.

Pain in the rear, but my give you an idea if you too are dealing with a file management system.

Message 9 of 15
bob_holland
in reply to: japplegate711

@gazadder and @ japplegate711

You really should be using Inventor's Design Assistant to Copy and rename files.

Here are a couple of links to assist you:

http://www.widom-assoc.com/html/design_assistant.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM8mPqI_cII

Please take a look at the information above.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 10 of 15
gazadder
in reply to: bob_holland

Hi Bob,

Design assistant not appropriate for the following reasons in my circumstances.

1: Too complicated. Windows Copy / Paste is 2 clicks of a mouse button. I don't want anyone having a choice of which files, folders or drawings within the project folder should or should not be copied. All files and folders everytime need to be copied.

2: Under no circumstances can anyone re-name any files except the top folder which houses the copy of the model. My model is entirely Ilogic driven and within the rules very specific file names are referenced. These files names derive from a parts function not job specifc reference.

Thanks anyway.

Message 11 of 15
gazadder
in reply to: gazadder

Turning off Inventor Vault Add-In stopped the crashing. We do not use vault so not a problem.

Message 12 of 15
MarcusVogt95
in reply to: gazadder

I have the same problem on Inventor 2018. Has anyone found a solution to this?  

Message 13 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: MarcusVogt95

System specs?

Have you installed the Updates?

Are you using Projects or are you using Vault?

Can you attach example files here that are crashing?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: JDMather

@JDMather

There's another discussion going on about this: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/instant-crash-opening-existing-assemblies/m-p/7593941#...

Crash report is pointing to C++ issues.

Update:  Also I've asked the user to expand and look at Windows Event logs (off-line topic).  Currently their event logs are showing numerous errors around the time Inventor crashes.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 15 of 15
MarcusVogt95
in reply to: JDMather

System specs? 64-bit operating system, 32 GB RAM, 3.50 GHz processor.

Have you installed the Updates? I have the most current Inventor.

Are you using Projects or are you using Vault? Vault

Can you attach example files here that are crashing?  Whats the best way for me to share these rather large assemblies, without breaking links fro you?

Thanks, 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report