Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

content center trouble

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
316 Views, 6 Replies

content center trouble

I have a read write library set up and have copiued several families of fasteners into it so I could assign company specific part numbers to them. I haven't added any new families to it in quite a while but I have a need to add a new family to the read/write library. However, when I try ti copy a family to my custom read/write library it fails with a rather generic error "a copy of the family Hexagon Socket Button Head Cap Screw - Inch can not be created in the library <filrname>."

I have used this feature before but now it won't work. I have administrator privelages.

I can't even seem to edit existing families previously copied int my custom library. I know it must be some kind of permissions issue but can't figure it out.

When I try to modify items in one of my old families I can change a field but when I click on the apply button it comes back and tells me "Failed to publish to selected Library."

Any help with this would be appreciated.

BTW:

Inventor2009 - yes I know but its what the company has and dowsn't seem in a hurry to upgrade.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Anonymous

hi RW, were you on 2009 when you made those custom families and can you still access them for your day to day needs still?
are they on your c drive for a temporary edit, or a network directory or in vault etc?
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Yes, all was done in INV2009. I was still able to place items from the libraries. The libraries are stored on the ADMS machine which is a remote machine rather than on my local machine.

I have resolved the issue by detaching the library and reattaching the library. I'm not sure why this happened but it does annoy me. It seems that every time microsoft updates the windows operating system something else bad happens with inventor or vault. I suspect it has something to do with shared dll's. I wish Autodesk would build an application that is not so dependant on third party files to run.

Thank you Mark for your reply.

Message 4 of 7
cbenner

Windows updates can wreck havoc with Inventor and/or Vault at times.  I've gotten into the habit of manually installing all updates so that if I run into problems I can uninstall them just as quickly.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hello all,

We just upgraded? to Inv2015 from 2009. Everything is very different with the ribbons and all and trying to figure out where everythiong is.

However, My immediate issue is that when my reseller came out and did the migration they moved my content center from and old network drive to the new Vault machine. My custom libraries are accessable and I can insert content center parts int assemblies etc but when I open existing assemblies that use content center parts such as nuts and bolts the vault browser shows the red dot that indicates the local file is out of date and that I should use the refresh file, that the file has been renamed of moved. 

Well yes it has but it is my understanding that when you place a part from a library file the location is hardcoded into the file. The original file has an instance on my local machine, thats where I'm guessing the assembly gets the part but the project points to a different location now. 

How can I get thousands of nuts and bolts in hundreds of assemblies to use my custom library content center parts from the new location? All the nuts and bolts have had the descriptions and part numbers changed so they make sense to us on parts lists and assembly drawings. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one to run across this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 6 of 7
LT.Rusty

Stupid question maybe, but is the custom library set to Read-Write in the project file?  Sometimes I'll have a fit of caution and set my custom libraries back to Read Only to make sure I don't break anything when I'm having an attack of the stupids, and then later I'll forget that I've done it and beat my head against the desk trying to figure out why I can't make changes to anything.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

The Library is set to read/write. Still looking for a solution. Logging a support call to reseller. Thank you for responding.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report