Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

content center file location

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
16581 Views, 15 Replies

content center file location

When our tech was here to install Vault for us I had several pressing tasks going on and did not learn how to find and alter our content center files. I now have a little time over the Christmas break to work on this. Where do I look in the settings to see where the content center is located? I plan to copy the files to my machine as I will not have access to the server over the break and I will need to know where to reset the file search at. Is this done through the project folders? If so how do I accsee read/write? I do have admin rights and we are using 2012.

Thank you

Jim

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

JIm,

I do not have an answer for you because I am anything but versed in Inventor, but I am responding

because you and I connected this past week on LinkedIn after being connected on the Solidworks

forum.  So maybe we can connect here and become friends on this sight.  Sound good?

Scott McFadden

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 16
cwhetten

The path for CC files can be set in two places:

1. The project file -- In the Projects editor, under Folder Options

CC Path - Project.png

2. Application Options > File tab > Default Content Center files

CC Path - AppOptions.png

The project file has precedence over the default in app options.

Message 4 of 16
cwhetten

After reading your post again, I am not sure my first reply answers your question.  If you are asking how to create a custom CC library, then follow these steps.

Open the Autodesk Data Management System (?) console (the ADMS console) on your vault server.  Right-click on Libraries and select Create.  Give the library a name and set the filestore location on the server.  This will create a Read/Write library.

Then, in Inventor, make sure you are logged in to your vault server.  Go to the Project editor and select your project file and click on Configure Content Center Libraries (lower right corner).  This will pull up a list of all available CC libraries on your server.  Check the custom library you just created and any others you wish to access.

Then go to the Content Center Editor (on the Tools tab).  You should see content from all of the libraries you selected in the previous step.  If something doesn't look right, check to make sure you have no filters on, and check the Library View selector at the top of the CC Editor window.  Setting this to Merged View will show all CC families from all loaded libraries.

If you wish to modify some of the standard content, right click the desired part family and select Copy To, then choose your custom library.  This will create an editable copy of that family.  You can also copy an entire category, or just the category structure if you want (this creates a duplicate folder structure in your custom library without any of the part families).

I hope this helps.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: cwhetten

First,

Good to see you Scott. I am sure we will be spending an inordinate amount of time here.

Second,

Cwhetton, thank you for the amount of time you have put into answering my questions you are getting me much closer to being able to work on this project. I have opened your answer in a 1/2 screen and inventor in the other 1/2. I have created a new library in vault and am now attempting to alter the project and am not finding what I need.

cc help.JPG

I selected the project icon and am not finding the "configure C C libraires" option. Maybe I am in the wrong area for project.

I did attempt to create a new project but when I got to the select libraires screen there was nothing to select and no browse buttons to map to any. Where am I going wrong?

Also as you can see my project is set to a content center location of \.content center files\ which doesn't give me much of an idea where to look.

Thank you for your help

Jim

Message 6 of 16
SBix26

The Configure Content Center Libraries button is the one on the lower right, just above the Done button.

As far as the path, in the Project Editor, the "." means the root directory of the project, so for this project, the components you add to your project from the CC are being stored under C:\_VaultWork\Content Center Files\.  (This folder is automatically treated as a library, meaning that the files are not editable while this project is active).

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

The thing I'm trying to figure out, if there is a folder that has models (*.ipt) of Content Center parts like Bolts, Chanel..., and you resize those parts with table elements or all this is hidden in some DLL? I walked to every possible folder things point to and couldn't find anything.

Regards

William

Message 8 of 16
Cadmanto

William,

Look at content center as nothing more then the list of ingredients to build the parts.

You wont find any literal CC parts until you actually place one into an assembly.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

I got what you are saying.  I just want to make sure I got it right.

So unlike Parts, iParts which have a physical model even if it has underdefined features (table, parameter driven), content center "how to build it" part is just saved as code in some file.

This beggs the question.  If I create a whole new Content center family unlike anything in the content center library.  Lets say a "bracket" family.  Inventor will do the same.  It will save it as code in some file?

Thank You

Regards

William

Message 10 of 16
Cadmanto

William,

Yes, parts and iparts are physical models with features.  and you are correct in that you don't absolutely have to fully constrain everything, although it is a good idea if you want to maintain stability and make sure that nothing say in an assembly changes alters your unconstrained part.  iparts understand are nothing more then a series of parts that are similar, but different.  Controlled by a table.

If you are creating a whole new series of parts for your company and you want them in your own section of content center, that is what is called publishing.  Check out this youtube video that explains how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7deYsXXpg

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Hello I am new to the Autodesk Community. The company I work for is using Inventor 2012 and Vault. Is there a way to copy the entire Inventor Content Center into Vault's Content Center

Message 12 of 16
Cadmanto

You have to understand the only content center parts that get placed in the Vault content center are the ones that are used in assemblies that get checked into the vault.  There is no other way and nor do you want anything other then what is used in assemblies in the vault.

Why are you wanting all CC parts in the Vault?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

THE REASON FOR COPYING THE WHOLE CONTENT CENTER OVER IS TO ELIMINATE
DUPLICATE PARTS. IF I AM DOING ONE PARTICULAR ASSEMBLY WITH, LETS SAY "BOLT
A" FROM THE INVENTOR CONTENT CENTER, AND A CO-WORKER IS DOING A COMPLETELY
DIFFERENT ASSEMBLY WITH THE SAME "BOLT A" FROM THE CONTENT CENTER IT
DUPLICATES THE BOLT ONCE CHECKED INTO VAULT.

--
Melissa Duncan
PAE
Drafter
Message 14 of 16
Cadmanto

Melissa,

That is not true.  If you have your Vault setup so it will not except duplicate files then your scenario will not happen.

That is how I had my Vault setup.  Then when you selected a CC component it would prompt you saying that CC component already existed in the Vault and do you want to insert it from the Vault.  This is the cleaner way to go.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you that helps out a bunch. I will let the bosses know about that setup with vault.

Message 16 of 16
Cadmanto

Melissa,

You are most welcome.

Here is the page out of the Vault help that will help you on this path to eliminating the duplicate file names in your Vault.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/Help/ENU/?guid=GUID-127DA162-F4A6-4C5E-86DF-896762269E4F

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report