Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant edit any files brought over from autocad to inventor

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
patrickman6
830 Views, 14 Replies

cant edit any files brought over from autocad to inventor

hey guys, having some trouble editing my files that i brought over from autocad mac. im using windows 8.1 through bootcamp. everytime i try and open something that i have emailed to myself i see this IMG_1588.jpg

i would like to be able to edit those files or somehow quickly copy and paste them between autocad and inventor. in desperate need of help!!!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: patrickman6

Never used Autocad on a mac, in fact I have never used anything on a mac. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, being they are two different file formats, how are the Autocad files saved out of the mac?  .dwg?

You pic is too blurry when I zoom in so it is hard to read.  I do see a black screen though which might be your problem.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15
patrickman6
in reply to: Cadmanto

yeah they save as dwg. i cant figure out how to take a screenshot on the bootcamped version because i dont have the required keys Smiley Sad 

my picture will just have to do i guess

Message 4 of 15
patrickman6

IMG_1588.jpg

Message 5 of 15
Cadmanto

I have never used windows 8, but in windows 7 there is a tool in the accessories called the snipping tool that allows you to crop screen shots and save them as jpegs.

You say that they are .dwg files.  Is there an optiobns button just before you hit "OK" that allows different options that might give you more favorable results?

Can you post this file here for me to look at?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 15
patrickman6

this is one of the files im talking about 

Message 7 of 15
Cadmanto

This is what I see in Inventor.

view.jpg

And this is what I see in Autocad under the "Layout1" tab.
view2.jpg

Are you saying you are not seeing this?  If not, what are you supposed to be seeing?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

1. Have you set Options to Import to bring it into ipt rather than idw?

2. Why are you using AutoCAD for this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 15
patrickman6

in the first picture, that what i see when i open it in inventor. how do i go about turning that drawing into a 3d model? why do i not see those tools avaiable?

Message 10 of 15
Cadmanto

If you are trying to convert this into a 3D model then when you open this in Inventor, window the drawing sketch and copy it.  Then open up an Inventor part.  Start a new sketch and paste it in there.  Then extrude it using the feature tools.  If you cannot figure this out, I will do this in the morning and show you.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 15
patrickman6

that would be great. i have no clue what im doing with inventor. took a class in highschool and needless to say its changed a lot. YOU ARE THE FREAKING MAN FOR HELPING OUT A NOOB!!!

Message 12 of 15
patrickman6

was looking at some videos online. im doing what they are doing but my paste or insert autocad buttons dont sem to work. my insert image is but nothing else seems to work? is there an option i should turn on? or off? 

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

What happens if you do File>Open the dwg and set Options to Import?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 14 of 15
Cadmanto

Patrick,

Not a problem at all.

Here is the part like I promised you.  See the attachment.

nut.jpg

I pretty much have the entire sketch constrained.  You can edit it as you need to.  You can also edit the height of the extrusion feature to be what you need it to be as well.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 15 of 15
BeKirra

In your 2nd screenshot, it shows that you "open" an autocad drawing but "import" it into inventor.

This is why JDMather asks you to "import" dwg file.

See the attachement for importing an autocad file.

HTH.

Import AutoCAD File.jpg

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report