Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cam constraint

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rcst.beedham
501 Views, 4 Replies

cam constraint

Hi

Please exceuse my lack of experience just learning how to use autodesk inventor. I am working on tutorials for Y8 students, they are going to draw this mechanism they have already made in Tech, I have drawn this and cant sort the cam constraint out, I have put a transitional constraint on the edge of the cam onto the surface of the follower wheel but the cam wont rotate all the way round only on the circular part, as soon as the movement gets to the straight edges of the cam the movement stops working. i have tried using different parts of the cam edge for the constraint but to no avail, I know this is possible and quite simple but cant work it out

thanks

Tony

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: rcst.beedham

Attach the assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

Hi rst.beedham,

I didn't see where you mentioned the version of Inventor you're using, but If you happen to be using Inventor 2011 without service pack 1, that might be the issue. There was a bug in the intiial release of Inventor 2011 that prevented translational constraints from working correctly. Service Pack 1 resolved that issue:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15506670&linkID=9242019

I'm not certain if this is the issue you're seeing, but it's somthing to rule out.

I hope that this helps.

Good luck with all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Message 4 of 5
rcst.beedham

Hi thanks for the reply

We have now updated to 2012 and the problem persists, if I change the cam for an ecentric wheel the transitional constraint works fine but he constraint on the cam only works on the part of the face selected for the constraint ie the lobe of the cam or the base circle I cant get it work on all of the cam face,  the follower will rock back and forth on the obe but let the cam turn 360,I have attatched another Jpeg with shows the lobe of the cam highlighted for the constraint, should the entire face right round the cam be highlighted some how

thanks

Tony

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

@rcst.beedham wrote:

....I have attatched another Jpeg

Tony

Attach assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report