Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bolted connections box empty

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
StrangersDMAX
1799 Views, 27 Replies

bolted connections box empty

im new to this page, please bare with me, ive seen this question on here before but never found a solution. when i try to make a bolted connection my "click to add fastener > standard/category" box is empty. my hole, which used hole command, is 11/16" and the bolt only needs to be roughly 2" long so im not demanding odd fasteners. Please help! let me know if more info is needed thanks!

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

im new to this page, please bare with me, ive seen this question on here before but never found a solution. when i try to make a bolted connection my "click to add fastener > standard/category" box is empty. my hole, which used hole command, is 11/16" and the bolt only needs to be roughly 2" long so im not demanding odd fasteners. Please help! let me know if more info is needed thanks!

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 3 of 28
Cadmanto
in reply to: StrangersDMAX

Just so I can understand you correctly, you have to select all of the needed placement criteria before anything will appear in the add fasteners section.  Have you done that?

Next, I know the length of the fastener is predetermined by the software based on the depth selection you pick.

I have had this discussion wityh Autodwesk themselves and I was told the length is about 2 threads beyond the ending surface.  If you absolutely need to choose a different length, then using BC's maynot be the way you should go.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 28
StrangersDMAX
in reply to: Cadmanto

first off thanks for the speedy responce.

i went through the placement procedures concentric and by hole and both with the same results. blank box.

the lenght can be as long as the software needs it to be with bolt, washer, and nut.

i can view content center when i go to place in assembly but how do i know if im conected to it i feel like that may be the problem. ive done the basics in inventor but all this is new to me

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 5 of 28
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Not sure why you have duplicate postings to start this thread, but it is not necessary.

Also you don't need to post duplicate threads as well saying the exact same thing.

As far as your issue, if you can assemble from the CC then you are connected to it.

Not sure why you are not seeing the "Add components" if you have properly placed the required constraints.

Try this, start a brand new assembly and assemble a couple of real simple parts.  Place a hole if there isn't one already.

Then try to do a bolted connection here.  See if you get the same results.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 28
StrangersDMAX

i accadetly clicked "post" twice and do not know how to delete one 😕

i tried what you said on a smaller simple drawing and it worked like a champ! Does this mean my constaints are interfearing? 

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 7 of 28
Cadmanto

Not sure if it is constraints, but what you just did was prove that it is in your assembly file and not Inventor.

I would start suppressing some items until you are able to get the BC in.  Then once you do, see what is in that component that is interfering with it.  Process of elimination.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 28
StrangersDMAX

ok, im getting close. i adjusted some hole sizes and got the BC to let me choose my bolt washer and nut, with no red lights, then when i click apply it does not show the bolt in the hole but it shows the BC on the assembly tree

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 9 of 28
Cadmanto

Keep going Sherlock, you almost got it.  Infact I am sure you are so close, you can almost taste it!!!  Smiley LOL

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 28

Hi StrangersDMAX,

The Bolted Connection tool uses Content Center libraries, it sounds like your Project file might not have the correct content loaded.

If you go to the Getting Started tab and click the Projects button, and then click the Configure Content Libraries button, can you tell us what is listed?

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1655-Assembli1655/1779-Content...

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/3877-CAD_Mana3877/3909-Set_up_C3909/3910-Content...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 11 of 28
StrangersDMAX

im greatfull for the help, but no need for name calling. these groups are for beginners and experts alike. not everybody is a pro.

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 12 of 28

Hi StrangersDMAX,

I'm certain Scott was meaning to be jovial, and didn't mean that as a putdown. Smiley Happy He's one of the most helpful and well meaning posters you'll encounter.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 13 of 28

Ok thanks for the heads up. I hate that I'm soooo lost about this. I took the steps you said to take, Get Started > Projects > but do not see a Configure Content Libraries option. Ill try to post a screen shot for you.
inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 14 of 28

im sorry for waisting yalls time about a simple matter. does this screen shot help in any way?

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 15 of 28

Hi StrangersDMAX,

No time wasted, these questions are always good refreshers for those of us who have done it before, and will most likely be read by someone in the future who is just starting out.

See this image for the location of the Configure button:

Config CC.png

Note too that you would probably be better of to create your own Project file, rather than using the "Default" project.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 16 of 28

Are you using Vault or Desktop Content?  Have you created any kind of Custom Content Center items?

Our company had an issue with some custom content we added to the Vault Content Center.  Any time we made a change to the Family Table the hardware would disappear from the Bolted Connection Wizard.

To fix it we had to convert the Library to Desktop Content Center.

Detach and Delete the Library in the Vault

Convert the Desktop Content Center back to a Vault Library

Attach the new Library

Message 17 of 28

wow if it was a snake it would have bit me Smiley Surprised

all are checked except My Library which is Read/Write, check and press ok?

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 18 of 28
Cadmanto

I am sorry.  I wasn't meaning to offend you.  I simply used the term "Sherlock" not as a name call, but rather resembling Sherlock Holmes the great investigator.  I mean't it tongue and cheek in very good humor.

Listen, I as well as everyone in this forum has been where you are.  I too am still learning this software. 

We are hear to help you.  So please don't be offended and don't be shy.  Smiley Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 19 of 28
StrangersDMAX
in reply to: setzerjd

no custom content yet and this is the first time ive ever even heard of vault. i learned inventor on the student versions which was very limited and had no need for this kind of feature because the class just covered the basics and used drawings from the book and we never got real involved. now my job is switching to inventor and i am learning with the company so all is new 😕

inventor 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64
i7-3820 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
2 TB HD
Liquid Cooled
3D Connexion
CM Storm
twin ASUS LED
Message 20 of 28

Hi StrangersDMAX,

So from your screen shot it looks like your ANSI library is missing some of the others have issues  (thus the red color).

CC lib red.png

if you change from ANSI to to ISO in the bolted connection tool,  does the hardware show up?

Autodesk Inventor Ansi Lib.png

If so, do you want to get your ANSI library fixedk, or will the ISO library work for you?

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report