Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

body art

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
arnold_noel
851 Views, 17 Replies

body art

hello,

can I do the part on the attached photo in Inventor?

with all the curvy slots?

it will be processed on a 3D milling machine without a rotary desk, so the slot's profile should nit be radial in all section to the base part.

it will be a cast part, and i have t make the 3D model for the model from wood.

I can make the base part with Revolve function, but I have no idea if Inventor is capable to do that curvy slot.

eventually, what other program should I use?

thanks

Arnold.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
arnold_noel
in reply to: arnold_noel

nobody has an advice?

Message 3 of 18
JDMather

The part certainly looks doable to me.

I haven't updated this student gallery in years - but here are some examples created by students

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Student%20Gallery.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 18
arnold_noel
in reply to: JDMather

thanks, it's not really an answer to my question, but it is more than nothing.

how can I access the source files of this library?

Message 5 of 18
tsreagan

Yes

This took less than 10 min,  so with an hour or two you should be able to replicate your pedistal perfectly.

Pedistal.jpg

T.S.

Message 6 of 18
arnold_noel
in reply to: tsreagan

wow, this is very nice.

i'm not pretty sure how did you do that. can you send the part file, please?

I hope your method will work for creating the complete milling tool path, because you know this will be processed with a 3D milling machine, from 2 halfs, and the cuts must be paralel to the Z axis.

Message 7 of 18
tsreagan

Ahh, I though you were going to rotate it and do milling on the quadrants.

It can be created to achieve the proper draft for z direction in two halves as well.

If you want it perfect, I would adjust the milling for 4 quadrants if you can.

I will upload a set of screens to get you moving in the right direction, when I get a moment.

T.S.

Message 8 of 18
karthur1

I drew the sketch in 2d, then used a 3d sketch and projected it to the surface. Then used a sweep to sweep the cut around the 3d path.

2013-05-29_1104.png

Kirk

Message 9 of 18
tsreagan

I started the same way.

Once I projected the edges to the surface, I then thickened the area in reverse, without auto blending.

Then filleted the inner corner,  and thickened again(outwards), and fillet outer corner.

After that I split and revolved to get all 4 sides.

The perk and curse of Inventor:  "So many ways to do the same thing."

T.S.

Pedistal 2.jpg

Message 10 of 18
karthur1
in reply to: tsreagan

Thats easier.  I used chamfers rather than a fillet like you did.

2013-05-29_1241.png

Message 11 of 18
arnold_noel
in reply to: karthur1

hello,

thank you very much for your help

i'm using 2011 version of inventor, so i couldn't open the files, but i could use the description..

now i can make the 3d slot, but i can not manage to achive that the slot to be in every y section perpendicular to the base plane.

i tried to make a rectangular shape, simulating the mill tool, and sweep around the 3d sketch, but it should be done with parallel sweep and inventor doesn't want to do that for me.

i attach the part file, i hope somebody can guide me to get what i want.

regards,

arnold

Message 12 of 18
arnold_noel

I think finally i succeed.

i made a sketch on the beginning of the 3d curve with the milling tool section, and another to the end of the path.

than i used loft with centerline.

i think this is what i've been looking for.

thanks for your help, without your advices i could not succeed.

best regards,

arnold

Message 13 of 18
karthur1

Can you post what you ended up with?

Message 14 of 18
arnold_noel
in reply to: karthur1

yeah,

i got some other troubles.

at a section of the curve the slot didn't came out opened from the top. but i put some angles and i think the result is acceptable.

i wanted to do the same loft process for every section of the 3d geometry, but at the last section i  have a problem.

i need to use an earlier start point (sketch) for my last loft section, but as there is a slot already on the surface at this point, i can not project the complete path to the 3d surface. remains a gap, and inventor ca not make the centerline loft.

Untitled.jpg

i don't now what to do.

is there a way to extend the projected 3d curve?

regards,

arnold

Message 15 of 18
arnold_noel

it is getting rally anoying that I am not able to do this part 'a la carte'.

I was able to finish all the contours with centerline loft, but i had to make some modification on the profile contour.

now I can't remake all lofts.

I am wondering how are the really professional milling designers do their parts.

do they use onther software to make complicated 3d solids?

I attach the last version of my project.

please, can somebody help me finish the job?

I need something bulletproof solution for those slots, not to torture for hours to redraw the solid, if in the future we need to change a little bit the profile, 

regards,

arnold

Message 16 of 18
tsreagan

arnold,

I have worked, in the past, on complex IP projects in inventor, so you can pretty much model anything you can imagine.

Some of the more complex shapes take time and experience, so don't be discouraged too soon. 

Once you get a comfortable handle on it, you will find it can be more powerfull as a creative tool than a production tool.

A Tip:

Do not try to loft or sweep complex combinations.  Instead create them in pieces and blend them together.  Very complex lofts (unless you have lots of xp) will often blow up, break them down into multiple smaller operations if possible.

T.S.

Message 17 of 18
Accudyne1

path1.jpgWould it help if you projected all of your paths before you started cutting material away from the surface?  Maybe I am misunderstanding your problem, but from that last picture it looks like your might be able to project all your paths as your first step and then you wouldn't have a gap in the surface your are trying to project onto.

Message 18 of 18
JDMather

@arnold_noel wrote:
... can somebody help me finish the job?

I need something bulletproof solution for those slots...

arnold

Unfortunately I don't have time to show you how to do it right - but you are doing wayyyy too much work right from the start.  There is a better way.  But it will take a bit of time for you to learn robust (and easier) modeling techinques.

If I were to spend time on this model - the first thing I would do is spend 2-3 hrs doing it over from scratch as I would not be able to work (other than as reference) with what you have created already.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report