Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

barboard packaging box

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rthakare
637 Views, 4 Replies

barboard packaging box

Hello 

this is my forst post. I am new usr to Autodesk Inventor. I have used other 3D modelling softwares and familier with some features.

I am designing a pacckaging box for one of the products and need help designing cardboard box. I read some posts and they use sheet metal to create cardboard box. 

I am not sure how to draw this cardboard box with flaps. I can crete a box with 4 sides but how to add flaps to the 4 sides?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: rthakare

Just use the sheetmetal environment and model up faces/flanges. The trick is to ensure they don't overlap, use the smallest bend radius and tear for bend reliefs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
rthakare

Hi,

Thaks for the reply, That where I am getting stuck. How do I create box. Do I use fold option or DO I use flange options? 

I want to create a box and then flatten it to see what dimensions I need to give it to the supplier for cut.

Message 4 of 5
mcgyvr

@rthakare wrote:

Hi,

Thaks for the reply, That where I am getting stuck. How do I create box. Do I use fold option or DO I use flange options? 

I want to create a box and then flatten it to see what dimensions I need to give it to the supplier for cut.

There is NO way I would EVER give a corrugated supplier a dimensioned flat pattern for a box that I built in Inventor. The software just isn't suited for it. The steps to "mimic" a cardboard box in Inventor will NOT be the right dimensions that a corrugated supplier will use. The main reason is that Inventor will require certain dimensions to not cause flanges to intersect while in the real world a corrugated box will not have that problem.

First is this just a standard RSC box or something special. If its just a regular box all you do is simply tell them the inside dimensions of the box and the thickness/flute type and go from there.

For example this is all I do (plus a little info about box markings,etc..): Corrugated Box RSC Kraft Double Wall BC Flute glued inside with inside dimensions of 18"L x 10"W x 5"D

The thing to remember in the corrugated world when specifying a RSC is that the length and width dimension is the side the flaps are on (the opening side)

Also make sure that all inside dimensions are 1/8" to 1/4" oversized to allow for a proper fit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

One more thing.. A decent model of a corrugated box is actually a tough challenge for a newbie.. Start with something easier while you are learning. Inventor is a professional program and requires a professional level of training. If not, the bad habits you learn while trying to figure it out will kill you in the long run.

But if you want to try.. Start with a face then create flanges and see how far you get. Fold is rarely used in Inventor. Its not a feature a beginner should worry about.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report