Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly questions

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
339 Views, 3 Replies

assembly questions

Hello,

I make my Inventor 2013 .ipt parts first and then place them into an assembly file.This is the only way i know how to make assemblies....Bottom up assemblies and works well.

I have just started looking at the following.are there any benefits in the below methods compared to Bottom Up assemblies

1. What is and when would you use a Top Down Assembly?

2. Create assemblies from multi bodies in a single part

3. Layout Design using 2D sketch Blocks

Regards

Terry

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Terry,

I can tell you first hand that top down (derived assemblies) are created when you have interacting parts that you are modeling/designing that have mating features in locations that would take the bottom up approach longer and possibly less accurate to create.  Once these parts are created you can always break the external references and make them appear to be bottom up, but to start the top down is a handy way to go.

As far as the other approaches, I don't have much experience with them.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 4
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

1. What is and when would you use a Top Down Assembly?

2. Create assemblies from multi bodies in a single part

3. Layout Design using 2D sketch Blocks

Regards

Terry

1. II only use when some parts have to be adaptive.  In general, I tell my beginners if they have to ask - they are probably not ready for adaptive techniques.  I see a lot of garbage becuase users don't understand when and where to us adaptive techniques.

2. This works great on smaller assemblies and especially for curvy stuff.  Use logical sub-assemblies (that is always the case anyhow).  It does require one extra file that has to be managed.  Most of my work invovles multi-body pushed out to parts and assemblies.

3. I have used only in "college try" experiments,  Could be useful particularly in mechanisms with 2D and 3D motions where you want to test the motion before fully modeling the parts.  A lot of tricky stuff to get the hang of it, but I can see where this technique could be real valuable in certain industries.  When it first came out I saw some real good examples, but I haven't seen anything since.  I don't think anyone has figured out how to use it.  I do 4 exampels in my class increasing in complexity, There is one example in my SkillsUniversity document.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

thanks a lot for the help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report