Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly problems - making a roller follow a curved path

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1443 Views, 9 Replies

assembly problems - making a roller follow a curved path

Hello there, I was just wondering if anyone could help with my predicament.

I am trying to assemble a roller to follow the path as shown in the attached file. I am able to make it follow one path, i.e. around the bend, but then how do I make it continue along the straight section and not continue around the circular path? 

I eventually intend to use the dynamic simulator tool to animate my full model. Is there a way to use the connection parameters in this environment to enable the roller to follow the correct path.

Your help would be most appreciated,

Thanks sam

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Of course an assembly without any parts is useless.
You will have to attach the parts here.
You might also indicate what version of Inventor you are using as you are likely to get solutions you can't open.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I have now attached the files in the assembly. Sorry, i've only just started using this software and still trying to get to grips with it. Sam

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

And the last file

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Forgot to say that im using inventor 2011!!

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I eventually intend to use the dynamic simulator tool to animate my full model.

Dynamic simulation will be the easiest way to accomplish this motion.

As you have found the Tangent assembly constraint only follows one face selection set.

To get this to work in the assembly environment (not Dynamic Simulation Environment) you would need a single dummy part representing the three tubes and use a Transitional Constraint rather than tangent.

Have you gone through this book http://www.amazon.com/Running-Autodesk-Inventor-Simulation-Second/dp/0123821029/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314799207&sr=1-5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 10
tommy-z
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, just stumbled over this problem my self, trying to model a "working" Roller Shutter assy.

Do I understand correctly that you ended up "helping" the man by "peddling" a book om Amazon?

Message 8 of 10
gsmith9810

Take a look at the TRANSITIONAL constraint. It was designed for cam followers, etc...
-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 9 of 10
tommy-z
in reply to: gsmith9810

I have done that

I have made a "surface" (ExtrusionSrf) in the shape of a spiral, with a long straight "inlet", on which I am using a transitional constraint of a shaft (tangential between the outer face of the cylinder and the surface of the "guide")

The problem is that when I push the shafts along the path, suddenly one or more "jumps" to the "next" layer of the spiral, rather than continuing around, along the spiral.

Hope this makes sense.

RollerShutter Test3.jpg

Message 10 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: tommy-z

@tommy-z wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you ended up "helping" the man by "peddling" a book om Amazon? 

I only suggested the exact same thing that I did to learn the topic?
Is there something wrong with that?
I realize that when a question is posted here that the user is generally looking for a quick solution - but some things take a lot of work to present workable solutions.  The advice here is offered for free.

It is not my book - all my stuff is offered for free. (see my signature for links)
The Dynamic Simulation that I suggested is not a trivial topic.  It takes a professional level of personal preparation to understand - therefore the suggestion to get the (only) book that exists on the topic.  Teach a man to fish....

also more information here

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

I think most here dislike when someone comes here trying to sell some product or service.  But for some questions that might be the appropriate solution.

Uh oh, someone else just suggested a book

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Cutting-notch-in-edge/td-p/4730141

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report