Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adaptive spiral coil issue

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
nmanousos
564 Views, 6 Replies

adaptive spiral coil issue

Can anyone tell me why this spiral coil can't have it's adaptivity driven? I have the drive adaptivity checkbox checked in the 2.6mm mate constraint, but it complains when the value is modified. thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: nmanousos

The spring does not appear to have been created at the assembly level with sketch features projected from the Post or with user parameters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
nmanousos
in reply to: JDMather

I don't follow - the spring was created as a part, and then placed into an assembly. Does this change it's adaptivity possilbilites? 

Message 4 of 7
coreyparks

Look closely at the attached files.  I have created the coil with a 3D sketch instead of the coil used as it was easier for me to do.  One big thing you need to do is attach your part to the origin point.  Change the constraint value now and see how it reacts.  It is done using adaptivity and user created parameters.  Hope this helps. 

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Unfortunately, just turning a part adaptive does not make it an adaptive part. An adaptive part has to have adaptive features or adaptive sketches in order to behave adaptively. Unfortunately, the coil is not an adaptive feature but it does not mean it cannot exhibit adaptive behavior.

Please see attached example, which I have modified the parts to show the behavior. Let me know if you have any question.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
nmanousos
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Corey & Johson - thanks for the assistance, but the type of adaptivity I am thinking of is a bit different.

Both of your examples show the hairspring lengthening as the constraint is increased. I am looking to make the hairspring deform as the constaint is changed. This video shows a good example of what I'm talking about (fast forward to 1:15):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_jzpQde6s

Any ideas on this? I need to make adjustments to the hairspring to get a specific elastic strength out of it. I am hoping that I wil be able to do this via dynamic simulation and FEA simulation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 7 of 7
nmanousos

I realized that I am using different terminology. I am basically looking for a flat spiral torsion spring. Is there a way to get the torsion spring design accelarator to a flat spiral torsion spring?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report