Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Alternate Units

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Cadmanto
961 Views, 7 Replies

Wrong Alternate Units

Has anyone seen this in 2013 before?  Where you have the dimension set to alternate units and the calculation is not right?  The 8" calculated correctly, but the 2-1/2" should be 64.

dim.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mdavis22569
in reply to: Cadmanto

Is the Inches set to a higher round off value vs the mm's ... so say it actually 61,0 mm but it's actually just shy of the 2 1/2 inches and it's more like 2 7/16 and it rounds up to even 1/8ths ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: mdavis22569

Mike,

That is a good thought, but the value is actually 2-1/2" in themodel.  So there is no rounding.

dim.JPG

As you can see there is a difference in rounding between the inches to the mm.  But even with that said, 61 mm equates to 2.401 in.  That is quite a bit off given the model is exact.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 8
mdavis22569

Oh I figured I was reaching for the 7/16th to a 1/2 .... but you are using 1/4" increments .. what does it show if you do 1/8th for giggles

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

Hi Scott,

It looks like the Model Value is not exactly 2.5".

Could it be that your drawing dimension is catching a radius endpoint, or something similar?

p.s. I'll try and get back to you later today, re: iLogic/ERP

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Alt Units Question.jpg

Message 6 of 8

it's the rounding to a 1/4 of an inch ... 53/128 is .414 ...it's rounding it up but it's 61 mms

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

Thanks  Curtis.  I noticed that after I posted last.  Between that and what Mike said, that makes sense.  When I said it was exactly 2.5" I wasn't taking into account that the model into the assembly was giving a slight variance.

P.S.  Look forward to hearing back from you on the iLogic.  Thank you for that.

Mike, I see that now.  I adjusted the model such that is evens out.

dim.JPG

After going through this excercise, really makes you wonder if there shouldn't be a setting or something that alerts the user of how far off the alternate dimension value really is.

Thank you for your assistance and pointing this out.

I created this idea.  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Alternate-Units-Difference-Alert/idi-p/5116120

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 8
graemev

I've already fired up a Kudo for that one.  Perhaps the warning could be made for substantial differences in soft conversions of the rounding values?

±1/4" >> ±1mm and vice versa.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report