Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrap a part to a surface

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
5211 Views, 7 Replies

Wrap a part to a surface

I think there is a way just not sure how.

I a part that is a corigated panel.  It seems easier to model the corigations on a flat surface, but it needs to be a cone shape.  Is there a way to model the panel flat and then wrap it the the shape it is supposed to be?

Thanks for any help

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Bend Part comes to mind.

Can you attach what you have completed so far?

other ideas are Loft and Thicken, Lofted Flange, Extrude with taper.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Ok here is something i put together real quick to give you an Idea.

Untitled is what I want to wrap it to.

Untitled2 &3 is the panel I want to wrap.

It is the panels of a Mercury space capsule.

I am thinking it would be easier to do it the way I am thinking but if anyone has an idea of how to do it easier I will definatly try it.  Even a easy way to do the corigations for that matter.

Couple of pictures of the real thing

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/getfile/665b60d8-7a51-4fec-9804-a77fbb40e3a5/mercurycapsule.aspx

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/images/DSCN4508.JPG

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

It is not possible to edit jpg image files in Inventor.
I was expecting ipt file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 8
2grumpy

if you got this parts drawn as on the drawing just bend it - see attached

Message 6 of 8
sam_m

if you know the dimensions then just use the bend command (as others have said) but if you don't it's a little trickier...

This is what I've used for wrapping labels to a face:

1) offset the face as a surface with 0 distance (make sure this face is larger than needed - might have to extend-face to achieve this)

2) thicken the surface (as a new part) the thickness of this "wrap-on" panel

3) use a vertical plane along the centre and split the part - removing 1/2 of it to one side

4) convert this part to sheet metal and set the material thickness to the above

5) unfold to flatten the area (use the "clean" split face as the reference face)

6) create a new sketch and use intersect to create the FLAT perimeter of 1/2 the panel (eg rectangle)

7) refold (using the same reference face) to get the above shape wrapped to the "parent" curve

😎 mirror the part to get the other 1/2

NOTE 1: The unfold and refold need a common reference edge to work, and thus the split in 1/2 and mirror.  Therefore the above method only works with symetrical labels/panels.  If you have a non-symetrical part then I find it best to create each half separately and then join them together at the end (could possibly use solid-bodies for each 1/2 and then combine together at the end).

NOTE 2:  Due to using sheet metal's unfold/refold commands you can only have a single bend-direction (limitations of sheet metal).  So a cone is ideal but a spherical bulge is a no-go.

NOTE 3: Decals will not work, if you're thinking this could be a great way to have a label with a decal distorting to a bend.  Sadly, doesn't work (whether distorting decals might appear in a future Inventor, who knows).

Hope that makes sense.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: sam_m

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The bend tool seems perfect.  The only question I have is sort of how it works.

I modeled it up with the with the exact dimension yesterday but it was somewhere else so I don't have access to post it right now.  I will post it this weekend.

The part I dont understand is where it is radius and angle not sure if the angle is doing what I think it is.

If I draw my panel on the xy plance and draw a line down the center on the y-axis.  Bend it about that axis with a specified radius does the angle rotate the panel about the x-axis in the yz plane.  That what it to do but not sure if thats what it does.  The panel has to be bent and angled to fit on that surface which is at a 70 deg angle.

I will try and get it up this weekend.

Thanks for everyones help

Message 8 of 8
2grumpy

in addition i have to say that in your case using 'bend' will give you
'visual effect' but not real part for production. to have production document you
would need to produce flat pattern cone panel and draw your perforation on the
flat pattern. that will give you accurate production drawing. it is disappointing
that  feature applied to/on 'flat pattern' will not appear on folded model

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report