Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow Creating An Assembly Is Nearly Impossible

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
drauckman
2492 Views, 30 Replies

Wow Creating An Assembly Is Nearly Impossible

I went through a bunch of tutorials on how to draft and assemble parts and when going through them step by step everything looks really neat and works well.  Start with blank files and try creating something from scratch and that is when the laws of the universe no longer apply.

I am sure I am doing something wrong here but the problem is when logic and common sense no longer apply and each mouse click and drag is bound by some law that cannot be documented let alone repeated that is when I start getting lost.

My assembly is mainly comprised of pipes, clamps and pipe T-joints which are joined by rotational joints.  I am sure this has to be a tricky assembly task since I have witnessed numerous times my assembly flying apart in every possible direction into a tangled mess from just trying to nudge one part.

For example -> Currently I have a part bound by a single rotational joint and I ground the pipe this joint is connected to.  I have used this many times now to rotate parts relative to one another to prevent the arbitrary explode and re-arrange that occurs if you do not ground a part.  Now all of a sudden when I try to rotate this part I get a circle with a cross through it beside the mouse pointer telling me that this will not happen.  Why now?  For a sanity check I went back to a previously saved file and the same scenario works.  Why?

The best part of this software is the: "The assembly cannot be solved" dialog that pops up as soon as anything gets more complex than a single joint.  This dialog fascinates me since after it pops up and I cancel it I will spend a half hour trying to ground parts and nudge the pieces closer together.  Then I try the exact same joint and...... it WORKS!  It blows my mind every time.  So is there a internal timer that ensures you spend an appropriate amount of time screwing around before it will let you pass to the next level?  If I can ground/nudge the two pieces I want to join in about a half hour why can't the software do this, maybe I am missing something but I thought this was the point for software like Inventor?

Is there some tips and tricks I am missing.  I am new to this and I do kind of approach it from a this is how I would try manipulate it if it was in front of me.  I see a part that needs to be rotated so I try click and drag it into place, of course Inventor has no clue that the part I click on could possibly be the one I want to move so every piece not grounded will fly off into random directions.

Since I have been through the tutorials that come with the software and some others that I have found on the web is there any other resources to help figure out how to get this software to do what you want?  I could only imagine some poor soul that tried to pipe a plant or something in inventor, you could probably prototype it in real life a dozen times before you could get Inventor to solve an assembly with more than five pipe joints in it.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
drauckman
in reply to: drauckman

Below is a typical scenario of what I am facing.  That joint at the mid left hand side will not solve and there is no way to get it to connect.  I know from past experience building up this assembly that *eventually* it will come together but there has to be a less painful way then nudge/try/nudge/try etc.  It is clear to me from the picture that this joint should be solvable.  I know once I pass the time/tolerance threshold it will solve but how to make this process quicker?

Inventor.png

Message 3 of 31
drauckman

And here is what Inventor helps me to achieve:

Inventor2.png

I was trying to set the joint distance from the end of the pipe to the bracket holding it to all the same distance so that the assembly should be square and this is what Inventor interprets it as.  In a way it is neat how it can generate abstract art from almost anything you throw at it. 

Right now based on my observations I think I need to do the following:

- Assembling more than 2 parts is WAY too much for Inventor to handle, break down the final assembly into much smaller sub-assembies and then further divide those up

- Create the corner brackets as a separate assembly

- Create the bottom and top triangle assemblies from the corner assemblies

- Create the vertical joint assemblies

- Assemble assemblies 1,2 and 3 from above

Although for this particular assembly I doubt that Inventor would be able to solve it once the final joints are attempted and will result in a picture similar to above.

Message 4 of 31
skyeg3

Are you familiar with constraints? If not this is the best tutorial out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssy7xPrjR2U

Try right clcking on parts and making sure they are not grounded if you dont want them to be.

Message 5 of 31
sam_m

you should never need to nudge-try-nudge-try etc...

I'm assuming you've had no training, so have you gone through all the tutorials and understand what all the constraints do?

how are you trying to arrange these parts in the assembly?  what constraints are you using?  You've used the word rotational a few times...  are you using the rotational constraint thinking that will tie these together?  dumb question, i know, but thought I should ask...

zip the iam along with all ipts and post here (we need the ipt part files alongside the iam assembly file).

When creating an assembly build it how you would in life.

1) Place one part and have it grounded as a reference starting point.

2) bring in the next part and constrain it to the part(s) in the scene

3) goto 2

To align 2 tubes you can either:

1) use mate and select both pipe's central axis (making them axially aligned), but there it nothing stopping them sliding along that axis, so you will also need to mate/offset the pipes to lock it in a position along that axis.  e.g. a nut on a thread - mating their axis will lock the nut onto the shaft, but it's not defined where on the thread it should sit, so it can slide up and down it, so add a mate/offset constraint to position it along the thread to where you need.

2) If you have 2 tubes butting up to each other, or a tube bottoming in a connector, then you can use the insert constraint which both axially aligns the parts and also provides that "position along the axis" constraint too.

Hope that kinda makes sense...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 31
CCarreiras

Hi!

Read about skeleton modeling and frame generator. Will Help you.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 7 of 31
riff62

As was suggested, you should look further at using constrints effectively, and possibly using Frame Generator for this. Without your files to look at, it is hard to determine where your assembly is failing, or to diagnose the problem. Having "gone through the tutorials" and and attempted to model something is great, but dont give up the first time something doesnt work out exactly as you hoped it would, because 9 times out of 10, it is something you did or didnt do that caused the problem. Most software has a learning curve and Inventor is no exception.

Criticizing a software that you have little experience with is a bit shortsighted.  Most of us who frequent this board make our living using Inventor. If it were only able to be used for limited sized assemblies, or basic parts, as you describe, we would be using something else. I appreciate the sarcasm though.

Message 8 of 31
drauckman

Thanks to all above who provided tips and info, I am going through more tutorials and looking into frame builder.  I am going to post the files for the first image to see if you can spot the errors in my assembly techniques.  But I have run into a couple of questions.

Joint vs constraint.  From what I read and understand the Joint is the "new" way of doing things and you should be able to achieve the same result using either method.  I have build my assembly using mostly rotational joints between the pipes and fittings.  I did use some constraints such as tangent to keep the pipe against the corner plates.  I did not find any best practices sort of information on use of either one so is it alright to use whatever method seems to be most logical to me at the time of creating a joint/constraint?  It seems that for some tasks there are ways of doing the same thing but using one or the other.

The other part I took away from the training was that a joint defines the one degree of freedom that is left un-constrained where the constraint method defines one degree of freedom that is constrained.

Top down vs bottom up.  I am using a mix of both I believe, I have some parts modeled ahead of time that I am building from but the exact lengths and geometry are not decided until during the assembly process.  I want to bottom up the corner plates and basic shaft dimensions but I want to build it up as if I had all the parts laying on a table in front of me.  Lay them out and slide the pipes into the T joints while holding parts using the corner plates.  All of these connections would be loose and tightened down after all connections are made.  This way of approaching it seems to be where I am having the most trouble in Inventor,  there are too many rotational joints and degrees of freedom still left floating.

All of my parts and assembly files are in one directory except for the clamps (somehow unknown to me ended up in documents/Inventor folder), I need to relocate and get the reference to the correct folder so everything is in one place then I will upload.  I am wondering if file references are releative or absolute.  Does the assembly try locate all files in the same directory when it is opened on a different computer?  I am sure I will soon find out.

Message 9 of 31
mflayler2

tonofsteel wrote:

Joint vs constraint.  From what I read and understand the Joint is the "new" way of doing things and you should be able to achieve the same result using either method.  I have build my assembly using mostly rotational joints between the pipes and fittings.  I did use some constraints such as tangent to keep the pipe against the corner plates.  I did not find any best practices sort of information on use of either one so is it alright to use whatever method seems to be most logical to me at the time of creating a joint/constraint?  It seems that for some tasks there are ways of doing the same thing but using one or the other.

The other part I took away from the training was that a joint defines the one degree of freedom that is left un-constrained where the constraint method defines one degree of freedom that is constrained.

Not exactly true about being the new end all be all for assembly.  Joints are a new supplemental way to put things together but some of the most robust assemblies will use Joints as well as Constraints due to the fact that Joints do not have all that Constraints offer in the manner of assembly.

What I have really liked about Joints is the ability to Lock degrees of freedom rather than grounding a component which can lead to invalid constraint issues.  Locking a DOF will prevent movement of that DOF but not ground it in space as grounding would.

And different contraints and different joints remove different amounts of DOFs.

Picture1.jpg

In order to Lock a Joint, right click on it and choose this option to remove the DOF if you need to.  I do all this from the graphics screen now and rarely go to my browser to do it.

10-19-2013 3-21-35 PM.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 10 of 31
drauckman

Here is the assembly in the last coherent form that I was able to get it.  It is from the second picture and no matter what joint or constraint I use I am unable to get the pipe connection shown in the picutre to join.

I did constrain one of the corner flat pieces so that it could not move (not grounded but constrained so it could not move) and built everything up from there.

Is this assembly fixable or do I need to start from scratch and change my assembly strategy?  Interesting that you can get 90% of the way and then be stuck.

I have tried using work planes to try constrain parts that need to be aligned with one another but I still get the assembly can not be solved dialog that pops up for everything.

The single file was too large so there are two zips attached. When I tried extracting both to a folder and opening the assembly I did not get any missing file errors so I am assuming this should work for whoever tries to open it.

Message 11 of 31
drauckman

I see after I posted this that some of the top (I refer to the side with the missing connection pictured above as top) joint connections in the T connectors are not to the inner surface but to the edge. The pipe is not seated into the T connector like it should be. Even after I tried changing this the assembly will not solve.
Message 12 of 31
JDMather

@tonofsteel wrote:

The single file was too large so there are two zips attached. When I tried extracting both to a folder and opening the assembly I did not get any missing file errors so I am assuming this should work for whoever tries to open it.

I get a missing file error - you did not attach the T connector part (your assembly will find it in the Content Center).

BTW - if you had deleted the *.bak files and the OldVersions folder it would have been small enough to attach in one zip.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 13 of 31
drauckman
in reply to: JDMather

I right click on the object, in the browser, everywhere I can find and there is no way to export this part?
Message 14 of 31
drauckman

Found it, needed to go to iProperties and in there is the path that it references it from.

Message 15 of 31
JDMather

@tonofsteel wrote:
I right click on the object, in the browser, everywhere I can find and there is no way to export this part?

Click on Save as Custom (see attached image), but don't worry about that part - I searched and found it in my Content Center.

You have bigger problems.

Everywhere I look there are basic errors in logic in the assembly.

The corner plate is not dimensioned.

The center to center distance for the holes does not match the center to center distance of the u-bolt fasteners.

I would have stopped right there and fix.  This would not work in the real world and it isn't going to work in Inventor.

These aren't even close (1" vs .875"), didn't you notice this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 16 of 31
JDMather

I looked at the 3 dwg files and the sldprt file and they did not provide any useful information either.

After fixing the bracket (or get the correct size u-bolt fastener), I would -

create 1 sub-assembly of the bracket/fasteners.

create one sub-assembly of the triangle end with bracket/fastener sub

place two instances of the triangle sub in main assembly and connect together with the cross tubes.

Far far less work with far far fewer (operator placed) constraints needed.

Let me know what size you really really really want the u-bolt or the bracket and I'll post an example of the finished assembly.

Message 17 of 31
drauckman

I did notice the U-bolt fasteners but I could not find any real world commonly available parts that would work for this.  I wanted to get the general shape of the tubes figured out and then figure out if I am going to manufacture a custom fastener or find a part that would work.

I sketched out the corner plate in AutoCAD and brought it into inventor.  I tried to do some dimensioning but all the dimensions come out in either the X or Y direction when dimensioning in the sketch.  I could not find anything anywhere that shows how to draw out a dimension perpendicular to the edge you are dimensioning.  I am guessing that I need to re-visit how to dimension since all dimensions should be brought out in the X and Y directions?

So from what you are telling me I cannot quickly throw together a concept?  I am not sure *exactly* how the U-bolts are going to be replaced/fixed but I have joints/constraints to hold it in place.  This is not enough to build up an assembly?  I did not relocate the holes since I might create something custom or find something that works.  If everything has to be precisely dimensioned and fit then I might as well pull out the materials and start prototyping.  I bet you I can get this structure built on a work bench as-is (well, maybe zip ties instead of u-bolts at the moment).

If I had everything connected as-is in the assembly but a physical prototype I would be able to grab the pipe and stuff it in the T joint no problem.

Maybe I am approaching Inventor design in the wrong way.  I wanted to avoid physical prototyping and start with an idea and then work the details down to final assembly.  If there is something that wont fit (U-bolts) I want to zip tie them for the moment (temporary constrants / joints) and continue to see if the overall assembly would work from a first-pass perspective.  Something similar to if you were creating an agile design part from scratch on a work bench.  If in visualization it seems to fit the bill then I will dump time into dimensioning precisely and fitting exact parts based on observations from first - pass visualization.  Maybe the plates will be replaced completely by injection molded parts so what would have been the point of spending so much time dimensioning it?  I thought if I sketched out the shape I want and extruded it that would be enough for putting something together quickly.

But if I did go and fix the dimensions and U-bolts I dont see how that is going to change the assembly.  The same constraints holding everything together will still be there, and the shape of the extrusion will be exactly the same.  Except now I will have a much more textbook correct assembly to not resolve.

Message 18 of 31
drauckman

@Anonymous wrote:

After fixing the bracket (or get the correct size u-bolt fastener), I would -

create 1 sub-assembly of the bracket/fasteners.

create one sub-assembly of the triangle end with bracket/fastener sub

place two instances of the triangle sub in main assembly and connect together with the cross tubes.

Far far less work with far far fewer (operator placed) constraints needed.

Let me know what size you really really really want the u-bolt or the bracket and I'll post an example of the finished assembly.

Ok so the trick would be to break it down into sub-assemblies and work from there.  I was really hoping that for the top-down / mixed design strategy I could just throw ideas down and connect together rough concepts all at once.

I could not find a suitable U-Bolt from McMaster / Grainger / Home Depot etc. that would fit the outer diameter of a common 1/2" copper pipe.  (5/8")  I know there are clips for attaching them to wood with nails to hold them up in house basements etc but that is not what I would like to try adapt to use here.  So I guess the size I really want is 5/8" inner diameter U-Bolt

Message 19 of 31
JDMather

@tonofsteel wrote:
Ok so the trick would be to break it down into sub-assemblies and work from there.  I was really hoping that for the top-down / mixed design strategy I could just throw ideas down and connect together rough concepts all at once.

You can do it either way - I am just incredibly lazy - I always go the easy way.
But however you do it - you have to do it right.  It was pretty obvious what you had wasn't right.

Message 20 of 31
JDMather

@tonofsteel wrote:
... then figure out if I am going to manufacture a custom fastener or find a part that would work.

About 5 minutes to sweep a u-bolt any desired size (those threads don't matter and are fake anyhow).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report