Active Contributor
Kokoza
Message 1 of 9 (375 Views)
Accepted Solution

Workspace files being saved to wrong directory

375 Views, 8 Replies
01-21-2014 06:29 AM

Hi,

A colleague has just created a new project file and renamed it to replace the old one. We both use the same file from the vault and it is saved on our workspace. I've 'got' the project file so I'm definitely using the same one as him.

My problem now is that whenever I open something from the vault the files are imported into the wrong directory. I have gone through the settings on the project file and they seem correct - which part defines where workspace files are saved? My colleague's files get imported correctly but mine don't.

I'm running IV 2014

Cheers

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 2 of 9 (357 Views)

Re: Workspace files being saved to wrong directory

01-21-2014 07:19 AM in reply to: Kokoza

Kokoza wrote:

Hi,

A colleague has just created a new project file and renamed it to replace the old one. We both use the same file from the vault and it is saved on our workspace. I've 'got' the project file so I'm definitely using the same one as him.

My problem now is that whenever I open something from the vault the files are imported into the wrong directory. I have gone through the settings on the project file and they seem correct - which part defines where workspace files are saved? My colleague's files get imported correctly but mine don't.

I'm running IV 2014

Cheers

Have you double checked that this new project is set as your current project in Inventor?  Can you post a screen shot of the project file?  And if so, also tell us where the downloaded files are going, if not to the working folder set up in the project file.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Active Contributor
Kokoza
Message 3 of 9 (352 Views)

01-21-2014 07:24 AM in reply to: cbenner

Hi -

The files and folders are being saved in the next folder up - Workspaces, when they should be going into projects.

I've attached an image of the project file.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 4 of 9 (336 Views)

01-21-2014 08:04 AM in reply to: Kokoza

In your image the Project location is Workspaces.  That's where Vault is going to go with downloaded files.  If your co-worker's files are going to the right place, there must be some difference in the project files?  Is the project file itself in a shared location?

ChrisB

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

Active Contributor
Kokoza
Message 5 of 9 (332 Views)

01-21-2014 08:12 AM in reply to: cbenner

Hi,

I have tried changing the workspace location to 'projects' as shown in the image attached, but even after getting it from the vault again (I first deleted the local copy of the project file to make sure) it still saves the files and folders to 'workspace' no 'projects' inside of workspace.

The project files are saved to our local machines and also are vaulted. Would it help to have it on the network and share it?

thanks for the responses

*Expert Elite*
LT.Rusty
Message 6 of 9 (316 Views)

01-21-2014 08:56 AM in reply to: Kokoza

I'm about 99% sure that your problem is not in your project file, but in the settings in your Vault client.

Check where your working folder is set.  If you have $ mapped to c:\workspaces, then you'd expect $\projects to go to c:\workspaces\projects, right?  This is not always going to work the way you'd expect.  Go to your Vault client, find \projects, and right click on it then select PROPERTIES.  Make sure that the working folder is set to where you want it to go.  If not, change the location.

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013, 2014, 2015

Work: Dell Precision T1600 (Xeon E3-1280 / 16GB / 512 GB SSD / 250 GB (Internal) / 1 TB (External) / Quadro 600)
Home: i7-4770k / ASUS Z87-Pro / 16GB / 250 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD / 3 TB USB3 HDD / Radeon R9-270X 4GB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P755-S5269 (i7-2630QM / 8 GB / 250 GB SSD / 750 GB HDD / GT540M)

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 7 of 9 (306 Views)

01-21-2014 09:45 AM in reply to: LT.Rusty

Good point Rusty!

Note that if the Working folder has been set by the administrator as a default and enforced for all users, you will have to have the admin make any changes.  There is a setting that enforces one working folder for all users, or allows them to define their own.  Under Vault Settings\Files\Working Folder

ChrisB

*Expert Elite*
LT.Rusty
Message 8 of 9 (303 Views)

01-21-2014 09:49 AM in reply to: cbenner
I'm guessing they don't have that box checked though, since his files are going to one location and his co-workers' files are going to a different location. :smileyhappy:

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013, 2014, 2015

Work: Dell Precision T1600 (Xeon E3-1280 / 16GB / 512 GB SSD / 250 GB (Internal) / 1 TB (External) / Quadro 600)
Home: i7-4770k / ASUS Z87-Pro / 16GB / 250 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD / 3 TB USB3 HDD / Radeon R9-270X 4GB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P755-S5269 (i7-2630QM / 8 GB / 250 GB SSD / 750 GB HDD / GT540M)

Active Contributor
Kokoza
Message 9 of 9 (295 Views)

01-21-2014 10:06 AM in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hi -

Thanks for the replies - I took a look at the vault options and set the virtual folder to '$' rather than '$, projects' and that has seemed to fix it.

We allowed each user to set a working folder on the two machines.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix and it's not going to crop up again!

Thanks

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube