Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Working with large files?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ComputerGuru666
427 Views, 6 Replies

Working with large files?

I was just curious if anyone has had the privilege of designing around large customer supplied files (.step, .iges, catia, NX, etc.) and what youve done (if anything) to improve performance in Inventor when working with these files.

To answer your question on how large are these files:

- individual step files that average 600MB with the largest being 1.2GB which then once transalated yield multiple ipts and iams with the "master" .iam being about 30MB to 60MB and made up of multiple ipts that range from 1MB to 150MB

-individual catia files that average 400MB that when transalated become 200MB+ individual IPTs

Now maybe these files arent that large maybe this is small by todays standards I dont know which is why I am curious if anyone else is using inventor to design around files this size or larger and what kind of performance they are seeing along with any tricks, tips they might have for working with these sort of files aside from the computer hardware (see computer specs in signature)

Thank you

Computer Specs:
Windows 7 (64 Bit) Pro. SP1, Inventor 2014 Pro, 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator (Driver 3.15.2)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme x79 Socket 2011
Processor: Intel Core i7 Six Core Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz OCed to 4.7GHz (Under Water)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw Z-Series 32 gig quad channel of RAM 1800MHz OCed to 2133MHz
Video Card: 2x Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Running Six (6) Monitors)
Monitors: [Primary = 2x 24in HD WS][Secondary = 2x 22in HD WS][Tertiary = 2x 19in FS]
Primary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex IV 256 GB Solid State Drive
Secondary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex III 120 GB Solid State Drive
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: ComputerGuru666

Have you tried either using LOD's to turn off the excess parts not needed all the time or create a factory file with members that do the same thing?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
ComputerGuru666
in reply to: Cadmanto

What do you mean by factory file? And yes we've tried LODs for the files that come in as assemblies with little performance increase

Computer Specs:
Windows 7 (64 Bit) Pro. SP1, Inventor 2014 Pro, 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator (Driver 3.15.2)
Processor: Intel Core i7 Six Core Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz OCed to 4.7GHz (Under Water)
Monitors: [Primary = 2x 24in HD WS][Secondary = 2x 22in HD WS][Tertiary = 2x 19in FS]
Message 4 of 7
Cadmanto

What I mean is an iassembly (or factory file) and in the member table you can specify parts to be suppressed.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 7
ComputerGuru666
in reply to: Cadmanto

Ok but how is that different than just creating a LOD, Also we generally remove anything that we do not need before we start designing around the data that translates into an IAM. I think the bigger concern is the single IPT (Usually a single Base or complex surface) that is 200MB+ in size that we have to design around.

Computer Specs:
Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

IMO.. If nothing is done in the native system (catia/nx) to reduce the file size before exporting then very little can be done in Inventor besides

#1-LOD

#2-Completely remove components (ie get rid of all screws/fasteners/non-critical components)

#3-Simplified Represantations/Shrinkwrap/Assembly substitutes.

Try the simplification functions (envelopes/simplfied parts) if you haven't already done so.. It can take some time but I suspect it might be less that the time you spend just waiting on Inventor because of the large file sizes of other parts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 7
BarryZA
in reply to: mcgyvr

Sometimes when I import iges files I first repair them, then derive the solid and leave the surfaces behind. They are much smaller, but I wouldn't like to do that over 1 000 times.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report