Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with imported STEP file. Solid Base to saparate parts?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
EngineerMickeyMouse
492 Views, 7 Replies

Working with imported STEP file. Solid Base to saparate parts?

Model in STEP file was delivered to me and it seems it could be made in Inventor earlier, nevertheless after opening and saving in Inventor 2014 it loads as a one big part and I can see many solid bases in model tree. Is there any option to save these solid bases as a separate parts?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Yes - you can use the Make Components command, (from Manage tab) to push each body out to an individual part file. An assembly is also created which reference each component in its' correct location. You may also be able to change the Step import option so that the assembly data in the step file is imported as individual parts initially. Hope this helps, Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 8
QWART
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

IS THERE A WAY TO USE THAT BASE FILE OR CHANGE IT?  SO I CAN FLATTEN OUT A SHEET METAL PART

Message 4 of 8
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: QWART

Yes, attach the file here and someone will demonstrate how to create the Flat Pattern.

Message 5 of 8
QWART
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

HERE IS THE BASE FILE THAT WAS PULLED FROM A STEP ASSEMBLY.

Message 6 of 8
Rob67ert

Just open the file.
In Sheet Metal Defaults change Thickness to the thickness of the part (4.826mm)
And then Create Flat Pattern.
Robert

If you find this reply helpful ? It would be nice if you use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 7 of 8
QWART
in reply to: Rob67ert

WOW!  THIS IS GREAT

THANKS!!

Message 8 of 8
QWART

SO SIMPLE.  I THOUGHT THE WARNING SAYING ABOUT THE THICKNESS WAS TELLING ME I COULDN'T PROCEED.  JUST A WARNING.  THANKS

ALSO THE MAKING COMPONENTS EARLIER IN THIS THREAD HELPED.

THANKS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report