Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work planes turn on in sketches

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
schnautza
1399 Views, 6 Replies

Work planes turn on in sketches

Any time I create a new sketch in my assemblies, all of a sudden every existing work plane toggles from "invisible" to "visible".

In small assemblies, this is fine, but in 100+ part assemblies, it is a major headache. I don't want to turn off work planes every time I make a new sketch.

Is there any way to disable this "feature"?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Yijiang.Cai
in reply to: schnautza

Based on the details from you, it looks like an issue related to view representation. So could you let us know what release you used? And if the dataset can be attached or send to me @ River-yijiang.cai@autodesk.com, it should be helpful for further investigation.

Anyway you could access the option fom View -> Object Visibility to turn off/on the work features.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 7
schnautza
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

I'm not messing with view representations at all - they are just staying on the default view rep.

I'm in Pro 2014, although I had the same issues in the past couple releases.

Every time I create a new part or new sketch, all of my existing workplanes and sketches toggle to visible.

Each time, I go back in under "View" and turn them off again.

It seems to me that if you have them turned off, it should keep them off, with the exception of sketches or planes in the part you are currently working on.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

@schnautza wrote:

Each time, I go back in under "View" and turn them off again.

Right click in the browser and turn off Visibility.
Can you attach file here that exhibits this behavior?

Personally - I never have my workplanes visible, because I can still use them from the browser even if not visible.

I have never experienced the behavior you describe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Mugenryuu

For any that continue to have this issue; I had a similar problem where creating a new part would force me to create a work plane (instead of simply operating off of the selected sketch surface) and would make all previous work planes visible in addition to the new one.

To solve this issue, go under Options > Part > Sketch on New Part Creation. Tic one of the three options- either x-y, y-z, or x-z; leaving it as "no new sketch" will prompt you to create a work plane- and display all past planes.

I'm operating off of Autodesk Inventor Professional 2014, It does seem an odd functionality though and seems to only happen on new part creation

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Do you mind providing a bit more detail here? I cannot say the behavior is right but in some cases it may not be wrong. I need to understand the exact workflow to tell.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
mdavis22569
in reply to: johnsonshiue

You can make a quick Ilogic rule to turn them off easily...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report