Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wood Bending Help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
johnsaccount3
652 Views, 3 Replies

Wood Bending Help

HI

I am trying to make a 2 sided press for a longboard out of maple veneer to get cnc'd.  I know wood can only bend in one direction at a time and I am having a hard time figuring out the angles.  Is there any way in Inventor to only allow bends that work in wood?

I think the pictures will help show what Im trying to do.  The paper is a model i made to figure out the bends.  The second picture is the the one sided mold I hand sanded, with maple veneer in a vacuum press. I want my new mold to have progressive curves in it like the longboard picture I attached.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blair
in reply to: johnsaccount3

A picture would defiantly help. I would use the "Sheet Metal" functionality of Inventor. Set your material thickness in the Material Styles to match the thickness of your veneer and the bend radius your require. If you change the material appearance to a wood type it will look better than the grey default color. The S-M module does have limits (if it can be done in a brake) it can be done in Inventor.

The "Contour - Rolled" will help with some more complicated S-M work.

You may have to play the the k-factor to get the proper flat pattern.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 4
johnsaccount3
in reply to: blair

Thanks, Im starting to figure it out and I think I fixed the pictures.

Message 4 of 4
blair
in reply to: johnsaccount3

The cardboard item is doable with Inventor. If you are looking for smooth compound curves you will probably struggle with Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums