Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wont identify contact between two surfaces

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
emmagannon
697 Views, 8 Replies

Wont identify contact between two surfaces

The part I'm making was orginially a .stp file, and I'm using this file to make a concept of the original. My issue is that I need to make a fillet so the connection between the extruded rectangle and the bottom and wall is smoothed out.

However the extruded rectangle I made on the part wont identify that it is joined.

This isnt the first adjustment I've made to the part, so I dont understand why its suddenly doing this now.

Is there a reason for this???

inventor.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: emmagannon

I suspect you are trying to fillet a surface body to a solid body.  (Delete Face is almost always used incorreclty by beginners).

Zip and attach your file here.  (or at least expand the surface body folder and highlight the surfaces by ctrl selecting to grab your screen capture)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, this is quite a mess now.

I recommend setting this project aside for a while and go through these

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

And install the Service Packs and Updates for your release of Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 9
emmagannon

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for though, I'm not sure what the problem is. 

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

Expand the Solid Body and the Surface Body folders at the top of your feature browser.

Right click on the Surface Body and turn off Visibility.

Surface Visibility.png

What you are trying to do is fairly advanced level editing.  I suspect you are about 6 months of studying away from editing this part.

It might be easier to simply create it over from scratch than trying to edit the existing geometry.

Message 6 of 9
emmagannon

Ah, I see the problem. Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! If you want, please move EOP to the top and then save the file. post it here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to take a ckoser look at the model. Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think I know where the problem is. The issue here is that solidbody "70" has been converted to a surfacebody "70" due to the various Delete Face features on the body. These features remove faces from the body and the solidbody becomes a surfacebody. As a result, solid Extrusion22 does not merge with the surfacebody "70." To prove my theory, you can suppress or delete the "Delete Face" features under surfacebody "70" and then you will see the surfacebody "70" will become solidbody "70" again. You will need to edit Extrusion22 and change the solid it operates on.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
emmagannon
in reply to: johnsonshiue

thanks johnsonshiue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report