Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't flatten correctly

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jbelle7435
1063 Views, 11 Replies

Won't flatten correctly

I am not sure why it will not flatten the two overall flanges on each side of the flace?

I tested it out and one side works but when the 2nd side is added it gives it trouble.

Triangle faces are same size but on opposite ends.

Inventor 2012
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jbelle7435
in reply to: jbelle7435

If I cheat and add a flange and then cut it as a triangle it works.

I can't do the[draw tringle-->face-->draw line--> fold command ]on the other flange then it gives me trouble

Inventor 2012
Message 3 of 12
blair

Flattens here no problem, I am on IV2014 so I can't send you the file. Check that you are current on all SP's for your version. I just deleted the existing Flat Pattern in the model browser and ran the Flat-Pattern command again.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

Before I spend any time on this - are you absolutely sure the folded result is what you want (when I dimension a drawing of the part - some of the dimensions don't make logical sense to me).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
jbelle7435
in reply to: JDMather

Weird how it works on the 2014 but not mine. This is my result

Inventor 2012
Message 6 of 12
blair

Work has been done on the "Unfolder" in the last couple of releases of Inventor. Since the change to this new forum format I an unable to attach files or I would post the flat pattern picture.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 12
JDMather

@jbelle7435 wrote:

This is my result 

I don't care about the flat pattern at this point.
When I dimension your folded part - the dimensions do not make logical sense to me.

In other words, I don't think the part is what you really want before even beginning to worry about finding a technique that will flatten in your release of Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
blair

In IV2014, just deleted the existing Flat-Pattern and ran the Flat-Pattern:

Capture.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 12
jletcher

Has to do with this corner Inventor 2014 has been fixed so it works but in 2012 it cannot do this corner without a relief of some type in the corner.

Here is the part with that relief and you can now unfold it..

Issue.JPG

Now if you don't want the relief in the part just and a filler in the flat pattern I did one side in flat pattern so you can see..

Message 10 of 12
jbelle7435

I attached one more version.

My concern is I do the same exact thing for both sides. The only difference is on opposite of the  XZ plane.

I can FLAT PATTERN my model. Except if I bring the EOF marker past the last fold03 on the opposite side then it does not fully flat pattern it for me. Maybe 2014..? Why should I have to do play around with my commands to solve this unless it is a 2012 to 2014 issue?

Jletcher: "Has to do with this corner Inventor 2014 has been fixed so it works but in 2012 it cannot do this corner without a relief of some type in the corner."

Update:

Hmm ok so if I add a relief(small) to the other face it probably will work and thats 2012! 2014 solves this. OK I will OK solution if a few....

Untitled.png

Inventor 2012
Message 11 of 12
jletcher

See the bend lines in your flat pattern here in the pic. They are not suppose to be there that is the clue it needs a relief. The bend is trying to connect to the edge.

lines.JPG

Message 12 of 12
IgorMir

Hi,

I can't see your part (I am with IV2010) but looking at the images - here is what I can offer. Please see the attached. If the reinforcing gussets are symmetrical too - then the model would be even more simple.

Best Regards,

Igor.

@jbelle7435 wrote:

I am not sure why it will not flatten the two overall flanges on each side of the flace?

I tested it out and one side works but when the 2nd side is added it gives it trouble.

Triangle faces are same size but on opposite ends.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report