Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish-List matter? Units&Decimals for parameters in parts & assembly BOM?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
DryMartini79
452 Views, 5 Replies

Wish-List matter? Units&Decimals for parameters in parts & assembly BOM?

Is this possible to change?

Everytime a measure or position is changed in the skeleton, the units are reset to "0,123", which gives this many decimals for the parameter in the Bill of materials list and drawing partslist.

Ex.

The column "Dimension" in my BOM. The parameter <Rod_Diameter> is imported:

The rod diameter (4,000 mm from the skeleton) is set to export in the parts parameter list, right clicked and given custom property format to only show "4" instead of "4,000 mm"

It's written as "=Ø<Rod_Diameter>" in the custom property "Dimension" for the part (or in a "Dimension" column in the assembly BOM).

Now it tells "Ø4" in the partslist and bill of material. CORRECT!

But if anything is changed in the skelton, with this or another dimension, this parametric setup is reset to show "Ø4,000 mm" again. Too many decimals for my partslist.

That's the problem. With 100 parts in different subassemblies with 2 to 3 exported parameters in each part, it's a lot of setup to get the automatic dimension text in the partslist from the structured BOM if it does not remember the custom proparty format for the parameters.

Could this be setup in any way so that the part keeps it's formatting. It would save ALOT of time or higher the quality for my automated drawings.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mpatchus
in reply to: DryMartini79

You are confusing the BOM and the Parts List.  They are two entirely different things.

Controll how BOM items appear in the parts list by adjusting the format of the parts list columns.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 6
DryMartini79
in reply to: mpatchus

I have tried to setup the partslist, but I only get "Incompatible Units Error"

See pic.

Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for the answer!

Message 4 of 6
mpatchus

Do you have the BOM for the parts themselves set to EACH instead of G_L?

That would explain the incompatible error.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 6
DryMartini79
in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks for your reply.

Seems like the parts are set up as each by default?!

Message 6 of 6
mpatchus

That would explain the incompatible units error.

You are trying to apply a "length" quantity to parts which are set up for a simple count quantity.

To get a good idea of what you need to do, create a simple piece of pipe or steel from content center and look at how the BOM Quantity is set up for that item.

Those types of items are desinged to give a running length quantity, which seems like what you are looking for.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report