Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WireFrame Visible edges only mode is showing invisible edges-2014 Bug?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
gcross
1127 Views, 12 Replies

WireFrame Visible edges only mode is showing invisible edges-2014 Bug?

Hidden edges are showing up when they should not in some assemblies using "Wireframe Visible Edges Only" rendering mode.

Is this a graphics bug? I use this mode a lot for communicating design intent & it's difficult to explain these hidden artifacts to the audience.

See attached screen shots showing a good & bad example:

Good: a subassembly by itself

Bad: same assembly when it's placed in another assembly

Gary

Xeon W3690

Graphics card: nVidia Quadro 4000

12GB RAM

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
4donwan4
in reply to: gcross

I cannot state this is an issue with the software. I do not have that specific card on my system to test along with the dataset. I would see if other stations behave the same way with the models? Also you can see if this driver version is installed below.

Quadro 4000

Regards,

Don

Message 3 of 13
LishuangLu

Have you tried with Comaptiblity mode from Inventor Application options->Hardware?

Is this a dataset specific issue? Have you seen such problem with other datasets?

Thanks,

-Lisa

Message 4 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: LishuangLu

"IF" you are using the "autodesk certified" driver I would recommend trying the latest driver from nvidia and see if that helps..

its clearly a graphics issue and finding the right driver "should" fix the issue.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 13
gcross
in reply to: 4donwan4

Don,

I installed the Autodesk certified driver (276.42 [8.17.12.7642]) as suggested & that did not change the problem at all (see attached image).

I'm seeing the exactly same issue as before.

Gary

Message 6 of 13
gcross

Lisa,

Sorry for delay. I couldn't experiment until now....

There is no change using compatability mode, problem still exists.

I forgot to indicate that the issue occurs when I create a View/Half Section or other section. Problem goes away when section isturned off.

I have checked severaldata sets & the graphisc issue seems to happen with larger files.

Gary

Message 7 of 13
LishuangLu

Hi Gary,

It looks to me that, the problem could not be reproduced with section view and wireframe visible edges only mode, but I noticed very similar issue, when I enable Ambien shadows together. So can you help me verify whether you have enabled Ambient shadows?

Thanks,

-Lisa

Message 8 of 13
LishuangLu

Just tried another time, and it looks without Ambient shadows, there's some problem, see the picture, is this the problem the same one as you saw?

sectionview_wirframe_visible.png

Message 9 of 13
gcross

I am now getting Inventor error message saying ...visual effects in use are not supported by the current system graphics haerdware when I attempt to switch on Ambiant Shadows when in Wireframe Visible Edges rendering style.

So much for the gold certified Quadro graphics driver! I'm igoing to install he latest driver. At least the Ambiant Shadow worked pretty well with my last driver.
Message 10 of 13
gcross

Yes, this looks very similar to what I am experiencing with or without Ambient Shadows turned on.

We should not be seeing the lines that would be hidden.
Message 11 of 13
gcross
in reply to: mcgyvr

Mcgyver,

I installed latest driver (334.95) & it did not change the problem.The diagnostics say it is gold certified for whatever that's worth.

I tried to change some nVidia 3D settings specifically for Inventor using the nVidia Control Panel but that just caused Inventor to say it would not support various rendering styles such as Wireframe with Visible Edges, Realistic or Watercolor.

So I turned those nVidia setting to off (default) & Inventor works as it did before, including the exposed hidden line bug with Wireframe with Visible Edges redering style.

I see at least one other has reproduced the problem.

Gary

Message 12 of 13
LishuangLu

Hi Gary,

This seems to be a general issue of section view and Wireframe visible edges only mode, it doesn't relate with the graphics cards or drivers, with any environment the problem should be reproduced. And it should have been already there for several years. I would like to track this in our internal bug system and ask our Developer to have more investigation.

Again, thanks very much for raising this up, and please keep reporting any problems or suggestions to us.

Regards,

-Lisa

Message 13 of 13
joe.sherry

This is a software issue, not a driver issue. It has been fixed and will be included in upcoming releases.

Joe S
Software Developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report