Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind loading on Solar arrays

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Billduck
1208 Views, 5 Replies

Wind loading on Solar arrays

I am into tracking solar array's. And live in Houston. So designing for high winds is paramount. I wonder if Inventor will have a package for analysis of wind loads. It is a different kind of FEA. Call it a 3-D distributed load. Any comments?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: Billduck

Not wind loading directly, you would need to convert the wind velocity into a direct force load. You should look at Simulation Mechanical for direct wind loading. http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/simulation_detail_brochure_en.pdf

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
Inv_kaos

Quite often this wind force is applied to the model as a reaction at the base plate or mounting point. You calculate your wind pressure from the loading code and apply it to the projected area of the structure to give your force and moment at the base. This is usually more relevant to the structural item you are checking and easier than applying it accurately to the 3D model. Unless you specifically need to run CFD or assess vortex induced vibration then this isn't done in FEA.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 4 of 6
Billduck
in reply to: Inv_kaos

I would love to have the CFD capability within IV. Maybe it will be a future add, within the stress analysis package. I hear from other tracking solar manufacturers, that vortex induced vibration is real issue. -- Thanks, Bill S Ph 832-338-3080 www.watt-tracker.com www.promotingevs.com
Message 5 of 6
blair

You should really be looking at Sim-Mech (formally Algor) then. I can't really see Autodesk expanding the FEA with Inventor when they sell Sim-Mech. We do a lot of Hydrostatic loading and use Sim-Mech for it. I could use a work a round and use the Split-Face to create regions and apply different loads to each region to fake a varying load but much easier just to use Sim-Mech.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
Inv_kaos

CFD in Inventor.. based on their current rate of including just some of the basic plassotech features I don't think I will live long enough to see this inclusion, would be nice though. There is a fair bit of literature on VIV that may allow you to design it without detailed analysis. If you do go for the software upgrade check that the ASM advanced turbulance solver is suitable to give you the expected results, otherwise Simulation CFD could be the way to go.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report