Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this problem be fixed in Inventor 2012?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
steve_LJH
1147 Views, 7 Replies

Will this problem be fixed in Inventor 2012?

We are unable to use the frame generator due to the lengths in material lists being incorrect when using any end treatments on members.

If a member is notched  or shortened/lengthened the length in the material list will remain at the original length. This means that our works would not be able to cut to the automated material lists.

I am sure that this must be a problem for other people & I have read a thread on here a few months ago about the same problem from another user.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BMiller63
in reply to: steve_LJH

I really doubt it. AD tends to leave tools like the FG at the good enough stage and move on. The notch tool in FG is also lacking in it's ability to do offsets, and I have little hope that it will ever be improved.

I think AD could do an entire release of nothing but improvements and fixes, rather than adding new bells and whistles (that are also left at the good enough stage). But we all know that will never happen. I think most of the stuff we see in new releases is put in there to please the folks doing demos, so they can make it look good. It's only after you've used the product in depth that you realize that the flashy feature you were excited about is not quite complete.

Message 3 of 8
~master

Adesk's mission in live is to get you to upgrade to the next release.

Fixing what is wrong or not fully fleshed out in a previous release is not their priority at all.

As long as their are folks who keep buying the new release each and every year, this will continue.

We need an upgrade moratorium, 2-3 years long to fix the current software.

For instance... yesterday PM working late to make a drawing for client (IV Pro 2010) I wasted a good two hours on the process of inserting a few pdg clips from a manual.

Apparently inserting a pdf into a IDW is one of those features that is in principle possible, but not yet made to work reliably.

There is some sophisticated technology and programming involved that for some reason Adesk cannot figure out. Multitudes of other companies with far less resources can.

Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: ~master

Steve, Was it you that posted on this in the past too.. and the answer was that Inventor is working correctly.

For example you have a piece of frame that is 48" long, then you miter the corners at 45's. The length listed in the parts list is still 48".. and you (or maybe it wasn't you) said that this is incorrect. My fuzzy memory seems to remember a post about this before.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 8
kstate92
in reply to: BMiller63

That also applies to the Weldment environment, as from what I understand, threading machined weldments still is not possible.  And no contour option for circular groove welds, so they are flush, implying the weld is to be machined.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 6 of 8
RobJV

I too would love to see an improvement to the FG environment!  I use it quite extensively but have to do workarounds like inputting manual lengths into the partslist which is prone to error.  Why can't the length be the maximum length of the part after a notch and not before?  I know many people who work with structural steel would greatly benefit from some major improvements in FG.  Notches, offset notches, proper length updates, notches that work by deleting the part that extends beyond a part instead of splitting parts, and notches that work properly for round pipe etc. 

Rob

Message 7 of 8
steve_LJH
in reply to: RobJV

Mcgyver,

The problem is not with mitres. As an example if you have two paralell C sections with the toes poinnting inwards and you place another section between them & notch it in you will take a small amount off the length at each end, this is not reflected in the cutting list. My example may not be worded as well as it could be but it is early in the morning & I haven't had my first coffee yet!

Basically if the notch tool shortens the overall length of a member the material list will show the original length. It also needs the facility to create an offset in the notch, notching "to size" with structural steel doesn't work too well, 1-2mm clearance is usually required.

Message 8 of 8
mies07

Answer:No, this will never be fixed because it requires that the FG/Content Center templates be re-worked, and of course this cannot be done prior to the next subscription cycle - and, it would require that someone actually re-write existing code instead of appending yet another bloated "fix". Whatever happened to the concept of "don't release it until it's actually ready for prime time?" Or the concept of, "Let's let someone who actually has to produce a real world fabrication document in a real world shop have some input?" Oh, right, it's easier just to buy a pre-engineered algorithm that you don't really understand how it works, add another call to that dll, and charge folks for it...

Let's Occupy San Rafael.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report