Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be Oculus Rift Support for Inventor ?

46 REPLIES 46
Message 1 of 47
adekrom
2738 Views, 46 Replies

Will there be Oculus Rift Support for Inventor ?

Would be great....

Product Engineer
46 REPLIES 46
Message 2 of 47
JDMather
in reply to: adekrom

url?

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 47
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi adekrom,

You can share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team using the IdeaStation:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

If you create an IdeaStation post, I would encourage you to provide more details so that others can understand what it is you're requesting, as JDMather mentioned.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 47
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Wonder why Inventor would need to support it..

I'd think it could/should be just like taping a monitor or 2 to your face more or less and should be the Rift driver that does all the work not the program using it..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 47
dgorsman
in reply to: mcgyvr

If it properly implements the DirectInput part of DirectX, it literally is that easy.  Thats one of the reasons why DirectX came into being in the first place - to support the host of joysticks, paddles, and other gaming input devices.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 47
adekrom
in reply to: JDMather

Didn't find anything on the Oculus developer forums about Inventor.

Product Engineer
Message 7 of 47
adekrom
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Did that, thanks.
Product Engineer
Message 8 of 47
KWKnoll

Wonder what Autodesk is planning - just hearing crickets 

Message 9 of 47
mcgyvr
in reply to: KWKnoll

As long as it supports that stationary treadmill like device too commonly shown with the Rift.. Finally zooming/panning around could be a healthy workout.. Smiley Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 47
JavaLodge

This kind of think fascinates me to no end. I've just begun to realize the kind of disjointed relationship a user has to their computer. I've always wondered why so many programs rely so heavily on mouse input for work. We have two hands, why don't we use two peripherals? I liken it other kinds of creative work. Imagine only having one useful hand when say, sculpting or painting. Imagine trying to do woodworking. You don't run a piece through a table saw with one hand and let the other dangle uselessly. My company has recently bought several Space Pilots and it has vastly changed the way I interact with 3D models. I don't even notice that it's there anymore; I simply think about moving the camera to a certain position and then I'm there. When I go home and use Inventor on my home PC my hand reaches out for nothing because I don't have one at home, and I feel like I"m working with one hand chopped off.

What I imagine the Oculus Rift would/could do is make working in 3D one step closer to working with actual tools.  It could be the precursor to something like holographic modelling, where instead of sitting at a desk you're working in a room with a 3D model floating in front of your face.  I imagine working with an Oculus Rift would be something like having that model floating in front of your eyes, and with the Rift's accelerometers you could physically move your head, ducking around to get a better look at something.  You would look fantastically silly doing it, but who cares? 😄  I think the biggest advantage is that the user would feel more connected to the object they are modelling, which is incredibly hard to quantify its usefulness.  I've noticed that when working with models, I have a tough time sensing the scale of it, since I'm mostly working in orthographic mode.  But even in perspective mode, it's hard for me to tell how big an opening is, or how high a window is.  Can a maintenance guy get his tools in there?  Can the weld robot technician reach through that window to service the robot?  

With all that said, I would still find it hard to justify getting an Oculus Rift for modelling.  I feel like I couldn't say enough about it's usefulness to my boss.  I just want a new toy to play with 🙂  I feel like I haven't gotten my point across very well, but it's still fun to imagine what Inventor will be like 20 or 30 years in the future.

in reply to: JavaLodge

I can tell you most of the technology besides holograms is pretty much there. I got to demo a VR system back in college and something they showed us was solid modeling in a VR environment where you could walk around and interact with the model using a glove/wand/controller. Of course they were just playing with blocks since nothing really supports all of that.

It would be interesting to be able slap on some goggles and get a 3D view of what you are working on, but the price better be right for companies to bother with it, it was hard enough getting one place I worked to get 3D mice which really help with workflow.

I personally would rather just sit down and use a 3D mouse or something to navigate a VR model than walk around a room blindfolded by goggles lol. Though I'm sure some day people will be saying how could people model on a 2D screen the same way I say how could people draw on paper.
Message 12 of 47
graemev

@mcgyvr wrote:

As long as it supports that stationary treadmill like device too commonly shown with the Rift.. Finally zooming/panning around could be a healthy workout.. Smiley Very Happy

Those are only for walk-throughs.  Please note: all walk-throughs will be uphill.  ... and against the wind.

Message 13 of 47
graemev

@adekrom wrote:

Would be great....

Would be horrible.  Here's why:

- What does the PDF from my engineer, the spreadsheet from purchasing, or my email look like when I alt-tab over to it?
- I don't touch type.  Neither do most of the engineers that I know.

- Are they seriously suggesting being effectively blindfolded at one's desk?  No opportunity for co-worker shennanigans there!

- Is there a front mounted camera I can toggle to for measuring physical parts with a caliper at my desk?

- I'm guessing there's no accommodation for those of us who wear glasses, and certainly not bifocals.

- Does it come with a motion sickness bag?  That was a significant problem for previous VR systems.  Also: headaches and eye strain.

- OSHA.  'nuff said.

It's a cool toy, and I wish them all manner of success, but I don't want one for work.  Play, maybe.  Work, no.

Message 14 of 47
KWKnoll

It appears your argument is taking the technology to an extreme. I hope you are not expecting to strap on this device before the 8:00 whistle, then wait for a robot to stop by, unlock the goggles the remove the USB from the back of your skull. Makes for good Hollywood, but not for average office jockey trying to better a design.

My interpretation in the near-term (we will say for the next 12-24 months). You would use any tradition design tools 2D or 3D, Revit or AutoCAD, maybe 3DMax or Inventor. And when your ready to “Immerse” and that is the keyword, into your design for 15-30 minutes until you see something you neglected, or have only discovered because of your new unique perspective the head-mounted display HMD gives you, you then go about spending days changing the design your tradition manor.

Currently if I want to take an architectural environment from an Autodesk Building Design Suite application, I need to export as an FBX file to a gaming program called Unity, having paid the $1,500US, I can compile and export to a “player” version a PC can utilize. If you are good you can bang this out in a couple of hours.

I just want to take advantage of the HDM in a native Autodesk program verses jumping through hoops.

Let’s wait a few years before we all plug ourselves into the matrix each day.

Toy it is not - it is a design tool

Message 15 of 47
dgorsman
in reply to: graemev

Glasses, also known as the "first-nerd" (think first-person) problem.  Applies to most of the new HMDs whether augmented or virtual reality.   Until they find a way to directly manipulate the sensing cells in the retina to create a biological heads up display that problem isn't going away.

Motion sickness is another good point.  Both are things that the mainstream developers and producy hype-ers don't think of, since they have never had to deal with either. 

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 16 of 47
blair

Look at 3d Motion Controllers from 3dConnexion if you want to use 2 hands. I've been using their devices for at least 10 years. Left hand on the motion controller and the right hand on the mouse.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 17 of 47
JavaLodge
in reply to: blair

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but a full half of my first paragraph was about how useful my spacepilot is to me. My intent with the first paragraph was to contrast working with a computer to working with physical materials, and perhaps that came off as confusing.

I guess my intent was simply to say that the more naturally I can work with a computer the more productive I can be. Using two hands is a step towards that, and I believe that the realm of virtual reality and augmented reality is a step beyond that. Recently a coworker of mine spent about a week drawing plans on the floor of our plant, marking everything to scale to determine if we could fit a new slitter machine between the i-beams there. It was very labor intensive, to say the least. I'm imagining a solution where one could place components down virtually, but then align that virtual space with the physical space. Then, using some sort of viewing device, like the Oculus Rift, or even a smartphone, one could physically walk around the area, looking up and down and around, in and out, at all angles of the model. It's essentially virtual 3D visualization.

I don't think that any sort of head mounted display will ever replace a 2D screen, but it could enhance our interactions with computers in a way that will allow us to create better.

Quite alright, I read to the point about "we have two hands and it would be nice to use both hands with Inventor". I quite reading at that point. I assumed some long winded high school student that uses free software and is beating about the bush about something he saw at a gaming convention.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 47
JavaLodge
in reply to: blair

You read two lines and assumed that much?  Quite impressive 😄  I hope that is not still your opinion of me.  I'm a professional, and I try to convey myself professionally on the forums, even when I'm dreaming.

Nope, just not sure why the Oculus Rift when you have SpacePilots. This device was brought up earlier (at least last summer). After 8 hrs of working with IV, I could see ones arm being tired if it wasn't resting on a desk.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report