Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it possible to override my parts physical properties

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
543 Views, 4 Replies

Why is it possible to override my parts physical properties

Why is it possible to override my parts physical properties?

We use the mass properties of an assembly to get total weight. Each part (had) this built in. Before 2013 this was pretty dependable. Now I have to worry - Did someone change the physical properties of a part with the materials browser? When I change the sheet-metal rule - that material should be locked and no options to change it.

Just by selecting “clear” will only remove color overrides and not physical property overrides. WHAT IS Autodesk thinking?  Oh they did not think that’s right.

Has anyone had similar problems and if so what are the workaround solutions?

Thanks - Ray_P

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Ktomberlin
in reply to: Anonymous

This functionality is very useful when you import 3d files of purchased items into your assemblies.  This enables you to use the weight from the spec sheets not the solid material weight. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Ktomberlin

Thats fine if I wanted to import a 3d file.

I dont want the option to change the material of my sheetmetal parts - Material style is driven by sheetmetal rule. Come on Autodesk dont screw up my sheetmetal styles.

Autodesk needs to fix this where this option is only possible on standard parts and not in the sheetmetal module.

Message 4 of 5
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Anonymous

You know the easiest way to not get the material properties screwed up by overriding values?

It's pretty simple: don't override the values.

You should not, however, assume that other users might not have a need to do so.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Other users would change the sheet-metal defaults.

How does one sheet-metal part that holds something in place, bolts to other similar components in an assembly, has a number designation, has a flat pattern lives on a list has a Numerical Control program to be used again and again needs its physical properties changed without changing the sheet-metal defaults. Each material has its own set of forming properties I just can’t see it having a good use in the sheet-metal environment - only in the modeling environment. And once you change the material it changes the sheet-metal default material on all instances of that part. It screws up the mass and this will affect the total weight of all assemblies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report