Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
CelticDesignServices
Message 1 of 20 (578 Views)

Why? Why is it that ex-SW users.....

578 Views, 19 Replies
05-04-2012 02:34 PM

....why is it that ex-Solidworks users have this attitude that if they don't know how to do something or know if something can be done in Inventor, they simply insist Inventor can't do it?

Did you know that Inventor "can't draw an arc from the end of a line while still in the line command"?

That comment stands true still even after I demonstrated it can in fact be done.

Did you know Inventor "can't draw a line that is automatically constrained such as parallel to another line while in the line command"? Again, that statement still stands true to these people, even after I showed them that you, in fact can do just that.

The last ditch complaint......"Inventor has too many clicks".

I mean I've dealt with people coming from AutoCAD, Pro/E, Catia, SolidEdge, Cadra, etc. and never have I gotten more consistent push back as I do from SW people.....or as I am now calling them....Soliddorks.

Sorry, had to vent...is the weekend here yet?

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
*Expert Elite*
CelticDesignServices
Message 2 of 20 (573 Views)

Re: Why? Why is it that ex-SW users.....

05-04-2012 02:59 PM in reply to: CelticDesignServices

With this in mind, I recall back for Inventor 2009 release if I recall, they offered a training booklet that dealt specifically with those coming over to Inventor from Solidworks. It basically showed how to do the basic commands in Inventor that they were used to doing in SW.

Is AutoDesk still offereing this for each release? If not, they should, it would make my life a whole lot easier at least.

JD, maybe you have something along those lines? I would think you'd be the best authority on creating something along thses lines. I guess it could go both ways as well....SW to Inventor & Inventor to SW.

Just a thought.

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 3 of 20 (568 Views)

05-04-2012 05:01 PM in reply to: CelticDesignServices

I still have a copy of that old book...

What the ended up being all too often, was they didn't really care for what the courseware said was the difference, they wanted to see this compared to this kind of discussion so it always ended up being more consulting work than training, which is fine and I prefer, but the book therefore didn't sell many units and Autodesk wanted to end the comparison.

To think if they made it now they would have to call it PDS for the Solidworks user and it would be a two week long course.

Mark Flayler Application Engineer - Manufacturing Solutions Division
IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog:
http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/
Valued Mentor
Message 4 of 20 (547 Views)

05-04-2012 08:38 PM in reply to: CelticDesignServices

Maybe they have had a bad week dealing with all the other things that Inv cant do as well, or at all, and their minds were totally fried.  Here's an example of each.

This SW does better

Thin feature option.  SW can extrude or sweep a line and at the click of an option button give a thickness in the one command.  Inv requires that you first sweep or extrude a surface and then thicken it.  An additional feature and extra clicks.

This Inv Cant do at all.

If you mirror a part in an assembly, Sw auto applies mates that maintain perfect symetry.  Do the same in Inv, no mates are created and it is not possible to create a mate that maintains symetry of the offset distance from the mirror plane.

2013 has only just added the ability to dimension the length of an arc in a sketch, about 5 years behind SW.

So your guys have gone from riding a super bike to riding a scooter.  The scooter gets there in the end but its slower and less enjoyable to ride.  Dont be too hard on them.

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 5 of 20 (523 Views)

05-05-2012 04:15 AM in reply to: CelticDesignServices

I don't know if I would compare it as super bike versus a scooter.  There are plenty of users that I know that have switched off solidworks and throughouly enjoyed the change.  If you want to compare features actually, it really isn't fair anymore.  You have to compare Product Design Suite to Solidworks, not just Inventor anymore.  So show me the equivalent of Sketchbook Designer, AutoCAD Mechanical, Navisworks Simulate, Showcase,3Ds Max, Alias Design, and Mudbox in Solidworks.  If some things take 3 clicks instead of 1 in Product Design Suite I would gladly give that up for what else it can do fro me.

And if you are talking anything with Factory Design, forget about it, Solidworks just cannot handle it on its own and doesn't play as well with the 2D as Factory Design Suite does.

Valued Mentor
Message 6 of 20 (504 Views)

05-05-2012 08:56 AM in reply to: CelticDesignServices

Yeah a scooter might have been a bit harsh, lets say an 1100 v's a 750 :smileylol:

As for design suite it depends on if you know how to drive the other software.  I dont so they are useless to me.  And in 2013  they add electrical to a mech design suit instead of P&ID.  Again for me wont even bother installing it.  I have had one person say to me that it takes the combination of 6 programs to do what SW can do in one - not that I agree with that.  But they are marketing to that, their premium brochure has the headline 'One package tackles all your design challenges'  Any new company trying to choose would question the training and data management costs of those 6 different programs v's learing and managing 1.

We could go on for a long time comparing obscure capabilities.  You can say Alias I say I cant use it but can use SW freeform tools without having to learn a new app.  You can say sketchbook designer (what it does I dont know) I can say fluid flow analyis.  You can say Mudbox (what it does I dont know), I can say edrawings for Ipad or 3DPDF.  You can say 3Ds max, I can say associative link to Rhino.  There will always be obscure differences but in core modelling such as assembly mirroring and choice of mates, Inv is way behind.

If you know how to create a symetry assembly mate using any combination of those 6 programs I would love to hear about it - I am tired of manually updating offset distances when ever I move my components.

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 7 of 20 (502 Views)

05-05-2012 09:01 AM in reply to: CelticDesignServices

I guess that it is the real drawback isn't it, learning other tools that can surpass the one that doesn't do it the best.  I see your point, but as a whole you have a lot more value (if you have the time) with PDS.

Did you know that Electrical does have some PID capabilities in it?  Adding Electrical and Navisworks was actually requested by a LOT of users to the Suite.  Some products are hit or miss depening on what you do, but when you get the products you want in that suite, you have no room to compare.

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 8 of 20 (501 Views)

05-05-2012 09:05 AM in reply to: Mark_Flayler

I agree about the symmerty mate or when Mirroring occurs to have the option to apply constraints at that time.  Have to put that on the wish list.  So why can't Solidworks do an Insert constraint as easily as Inventor does?  Little things shouldn't stop a user from learning the tool.

Valued Mentor
Message 9 of 20 (492 Views)

05-05-2012 09:50 AM in reply to: Mark_Flayler

I am a single user so for me I dont have the time, but if I was employing I wouldnt want to spend the money on all that training either.  I think adesk made a huge mistake.  If I was a reseller of any other program I would hammer that point every time.

Youre right inv insert is less clicks than using concentric and coincident to get the same result.  (I didnt say everything was worse).  But check out the range of mates that they have - makes me weep - especially width and symetric mates.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/aha1317932497838.htm?id=a3806fe82bb449d1...

Unfortunately it's often the little things that cause the most frustration.  I work from a home office.  My wife says I need to buy some new software because I swear to much these days  :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
Message 10 of 20 (479 Views)

05-05-2012 01:23 PM in reply to: CelticDesignServices

Most companies still keep Autocad around, so when you look at the price of PRDS it is a pretty good value considering you get Inventor and Autocad together. Plus Showcase is pretty powerful and not too hard to pick up on.

Autodesk has had Design Review for the iPad for quite a while now. 3D PDF is in a big bag of hurt. It isn't even owned by Adobe anyomore.

There are nice features on both sides of the fence, a few have been listed here so far.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube