Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's going to AU?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
michaelpgeyer
330 Views, 1 Reply

Who's going to AU?

Hopefilly many here are already registered and planning to attend and take part in the 77+ Inventor classes being led by some of the top users in the world. Sorry for the long post, but I'm pasting a sample email and some talking points for convinving your management to make this happen.

If you haven't registered you can get VIP access by using this code MFGMG when you do register. Please don't share beyond this group.

Also, if the total AU cost is too high for your company, check out the I3D mini conference on Monday. Registration for this is only $399 (free for students) and includes a really great lineup plus access to all of the keynotes on Tuesday. I3D is focused on small businesses and startups with amazing speakers and content for helping turn your idea into the next big thing!

AU Registration: https://events.au.autodesk.com/portal/login.ww

I3D

The first ever I3D Summit is your opportunity to join progressive thinkers, influencers, fellow designers, investors and media in business  today. This 2 day event in Las Vegas includes a welcome address, workshops, panels led by industry experts, hands-on activities, product demonstrations and networking that is not available anywhere else. The workshops give you the opportunity to experience concepts from design to manufacture with hands on modeling, simulation and 3D printing. No matter what your need happens to be, you will find the solution here.

FREE for Students!

Talking Points:

Use these talking points in a discussion with your manager or in your letter or benefits worksheet.

Be strategic. Think about what is going on in your company right now. Is there a big job that requires new skills? Is it time to evaluate new software or hardware? Does your firm have job openings? When you state your reasons for wanting to go to AU, consider what is most important to your company first.

Also, try to put yourself in your manager’s position. If you can explain why AU answers a specific need he or she has, you will be much more likely to gain approval to attend. For example, if your manager is really interested in mobile technology, you can offer to attend classes and visit vendors who address that topic.

Training

Review previous AU classes for examples and make a list of the types of classes that will provide the most benefit for your office. Is your firm getting all it can from the software it uses? What skills do you need to improve your company’s competitiveness in visualization, building information modeling (BIM), or cloud technology? Remember that you can get Autodesk Certified for free at AU.

Strategy and trends

AU offers many classes that address the latest trends and provide real-world solutions. In addition, vendors in the AU Exhibit Hall display the latest technology and services for design firms. Does your firm need to learn about cloud computing? Are you trying to manage large BIM projects using distributed teams? Does your company need to understand product fabrication and pre-fabrication workflows? Tell your manager how classes at AU can help your firm understand and manage new technologies. Make a list of the types of classes that you want to take.

Networking

AU is where everyone comes together. You can find out what other firms are doing to solve problems that your organization has encountered. You can make industry contacts that might help your firm win the next big job. You might even find the perfect team member to plug a hole in your firm's skill set. Tell your manager how you plan to meet people, and ask if there are specific types of contacts it would be advantageous for your firm to make.

Bringing it home

When you come back from AU, it is important to share what you learn with your colleagues. Tell your manager exactly how you plan to do that. Will you host some lunchtime training sessions? Create new standards documents? Host webinars? Have a plan and include it in your request packet. 

Sample Email:

Dear  Boss,

I would like to attend Autodesk University December 3–5, 2013, in Las Vegas.. I believe that attending this conference will bring significant benefits to <your company or department>.

At AU, I will be able to learn about <_______>, which will help with the <insert current project>. I am also interested in exploring new tools and technologies as well as best practices and new business strategies to make our firm more productive and competitive. I’ve attached a Benefits Worksheet that outlines specific classes and other AU opportunities that will benefit our company.

Here are some other tangible benefits to attending AU <adjust to fit your situation>:

• I’ll help our company stay current with new trends and technologies. By attending forward-looking innovation forums and classes and visiting with the AU Exhibit Hall vendors, I can find out what other companies are doing to stay competitive.
  • I’ll make connections. I will network with peers to understand how other firms are handling common issues. I may be able to find joint venture partners, subcontractors, or new employees who can enhance our business.
  • I’ll learn new skills and share them with my coworkers. I will make a concerted effort to share what I learn at AU. I plan to <insert plan>.

Attending AU 2013 will cost approximately <insert cost from worksheet>. This includes all transportation, lodging, classes, events, and meals. This estimate assumes that I register by October 8 to receive the early-bird discount. I can also save money by <insert cost-saving ideas>. A breakdown of the costs associated with the conference is attached.

Although it does cost money to attend AU, I believe it is an investment worth making. I can attend continuing education classes or achieve <product name> certification without additional cost. I will also not have to attend <list any webinars, training classes, or other events you do not have to attend> because that information will be available to me at AU.

I respectfully request the opportunity to discuss my attendance at AU with you. I invite you to attend AU as well. AU features many classes for managers and executives that address design visualization; web, cloud, and mobile technologies; fabrication and pre-fabrication workflows and process; building information modeling (BIM); design leadership; and innovation strategies.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

<Your name>

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
-niels-
in reply to: michaelpgeyer

@michaelpgeyer wrote:

If you haven't registered you can get VIP access by using this code MFGMG when you do register. Please don't share beyond this group.

You do know this is a public forum, right?

The rest of the mail is basically what Kat also posted here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/AU-2013/td-p/4527443

Anyway, still nice to see that you are promoting AU so much. Smiley Wink

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report