Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White streaks when plotting shaded models

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
m.granata
2187 Views, 31 Replies

White streaks when plotting shaded models

Hi,

I believe this issue started when I upgraded to Inventor Professional 2014.  When I print idw files with shaded models on my HP Designjet 500 plotter I get white streaks in the shaded model.  I never had this issue with the 2013 version of Inventor.  If I export the same idw file to a pdf then print the pdf file there is no streaking and the printed drawing is okay.  Thinking it was a Designjet issue I spent a couple days on HP's discussion group to find a solution but now it looks like a software issue.  Any information to resolve this issue is appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
Cadmanto
in reply to: m.granata

Mike,

Have you upgraded your print drivers when you upgraded to 2014?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 32
BrandonBG

I have the same issue when using a shaded view that deviates from any true ISO or straight-on view. So, if I use custom view I end up with streaks on some, not all, of the materials. As long as I stick to the ISOs or front/right/left, I'm fine.

Thinking this may be a rendering issue withing IDWs.

BrandonBG

Message 4 of 32
m.granata

The views I have that are shaded are isometric views, no custom views.  I typically only shade isometric views so haven't tried any other views.  I am using the latest printer drivers offered by HP.  These are the same printer drivers I used with Inventor Premium 2013.  If I print to my color laser on just 8.5x11 sheets I have no issues.  But I need large plots from my Designjet 500 printer.  And like I mentioned earlier, exporting the idw to a pdf and printing the pdf works fine.  Also, exporting to a dwf and printing from Autodesk Design Review 2013 is fine.

FYI:  O.S. is Windows 7 64 bit.

Regards,

Mike 

Message 5 of 32
blair

Use the "High Quality" setting in your export to PDF. Using the standard default quality setting will cause streaks/banding.

Not a driver or printer issue, it's between Autodesk Inventor and Adobe. The High-Quality settings will eliminate the banding.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 32
m.granata

Maybe I wasn't clear.  There are no banding issues when printing a pdf of dwf file that was exported from an idw file.  The banding occurs when printing the idw file within Inventor Professional 2014.  I have tried all print quality settings, Fast, Normal, Best.  I have also tried the different Optimization selections, Optimize for Drawings/Text, and Optimize for Images.

Anyway, it was printing fine.  Why should the settings suddenly have to be changed.  I don't remember exactly when the banding began.  I can only recall it was shortly after I upgraded to Inventor Professional 2014.

Best Regards,

Mike

Message 7 of 32
sam_m

when creating a pdf from Inventor are you printing it with a pdf printer?  if not then try it (I would suggest PDF Creator).

if there are artifacts in the pdf printed result (not Inventor's own export) then it's an issue with Inventor's printing routine.

If the pdf output is good then how well does that print?  If a pdf prints well but Inventor doesn't then it's an issue with Inventor, but if the pdf print (from Adobe reader) is also causing print-problems then it's surely not a 100% Inventor issue and something to do with the printer and/or drivers.

If the pdf prints ok but Inventor doesn't then I guess it's a possible solution, all be it a frustrating one you shouldn't have, to print/export as a pdf and then print that.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 8 of 32
m.granata

Thanks for everyone's efforts to resolve this issue.  It certainly has me baffled and I don't won't to keep sending my client hard copies with this white streaking in the shaded views.

1.  The pdf files I create (export command) from Inventor I am printing with Adobe Acrobat X Professional (not the free Adobe Reader).  The pdf file looks okay and prints okay with no issues.

2.  The dwf files I create (export command) from Inventor I am printing with Autodesk Design Review 2013.  The dwf file looks okay and and prints okay with no issues.

3.  When printing an idw file with Inventor Professional 2014, I get the white streaking in the shaded views.

I still haven't completely ruled out something with my Designjet 500.  I have replaced all the printheads and cartridges with are the common cause of this condition and have performed cleaning and advanced calibrations on it.  All is okay with that.  The fact that the pfd and dwf plots are okay has me wondering if it is an issue with Inventor Professional 2014.

Best Regards,

Mike

Message 9 of 32
graemev

Good diagnostics on your part.  Any time I've had banding or streaking problems with a printer, it did it on ALL prints.  Sounds like a software problem.

Message 10 of 32
blair

I might be inclined to see if there are any print-driver updates from HP.

I would also snoop around the printer-properties settings, it does seem odd. Also make sure you have both hot-fixes for IV2014 installed.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 32
sam_m

@m.granata wrote:

1.  The pdf files I create (export command) from Inventor I am printing with Adobe Acrobat X Professional (not the free Adobe Reader).  The pdf file looks okay and prints okay with no issues.

did you see my comment in the post above?

"if there are artifacts in the pdf printed result (not Inventor's own export) then it's an issue with Inventor's printing routine."

have you tried a pdf print through the print command (with a 3rd party pdf printer) NOT the export command?  As the pdf results have differed in the past (and usually the pdf print is more in keeping with the physical print).

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 12 of 32
m.granata
in reply to: sam_m

Sam_m,

I saw you post and in all honesty I didn't understand this line, "if there are artifacts in the pdf printed result (not Inventor's own export) then it's an issue with Inventor's printing routine."

I haven't tried a third party pdf printer.  I have used Cute pdf in the past.  I can install it and print to a pdf file using the print command and see what the results look like.  I think I know what you are getting at.  If creating a pdf file through the print command generates a shaded image with the same white banding then I have a software issue and if shaded image is okay then look more at an issue with my Designjet printer.  Correct?  I'll give that a try and post the results.

Best Regards,

Mike 

Message 13 of 32
sam_m

yes, that's it.

In the past there have been differences between the output from "printed" pdfs to "exported" ones.  Usually the "printed" ones (through a pdf printer like PDF Creator/CutePDF) is more similar to the printed result than the exported one.

and yes...  This is what I was thinking (assuming you're always using the same "master" idw in Inventor for consistency):

1) if the banding exists on the pdf "print" then it shows it's an issue with Inventor's use of the print engine.  Make sure to zoom around the pdf to check it's still ok close-up.

2) If the pdf "print" is ok from Inventor but it then prints banded then it's a printer (or driver) issue.

3) if the pdf is ok and prints ok then it might suggest Inventor has a problem talking to the HP driver when printing directly.

I hope that makes sense?!?

As a side note... if the banding is only at times and varies a lot, then could it just be a dirty print head?  In the past I've had banding with colour prints purely because we use black 99% of time and colour so rarely it has dried and needs a clean (or even a new cartridge) when that colour is called up for smooth colour shading.

Sam M.

Message 14 of 32
m.granata

Sam_m,

I was able to create a pdf using the print command in Inventor Pro 2014.  The shaded image has white banding much more severe than the shaded image printed on my Designjet 500 directly from the idw file in Inventor Pro 2014.  I have attached two jpg images.

FYI:  I have tried changing the color of the shaded image to red and the white banding still occurs.

I wonder why Inventor Pro 2014 is having this issue with the HP printer driver?  Hp has only two drivers available for Win7 64 bit.  One for HP-GL/2 and one for PCL3GUI.  I've used the PCL3GUI version drivers for years because the Designjet 500 uses an accessory formatter card to add HP-GL/2 capability to the printer and I've already had two of those expensive accessory cards go bad.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mike 

Message 15 of 32
sam_m

so... it looks like Inventor 2014 may have some issues rendering out shaded views to the print engine...  fantastic Man Sad

I can't remember anyone else commenting about poor print quality with 2014 but I will have a look around.

out of interest...  what option have you got set for the shaded view?

Tools ribbon -> Document Settings -> Drawing tab and it should look like the image below:

shaded-option.png

If it isn't set to "Offline Only" it might be worth a trial with that.

Sam M.

Message 16 of 32
m.granata

My drawing tab settings are configured just as what you show, I guess those are the default settings.  I may try different bitmap resolution settings and also change the use bitmap setting to always.  Is this issue that uncommon or do others not print any shaded views in their idw drawings?  I know shaded views are not a standard drafting practice but in some cases they look better than wire frame in isometric views.

Message 17 of 32
blair

Default is "On-Line" for the graphics. The only "graphics" issues I have seen in IV2014 are in the modeling enviroment. Ray-Tracing is one of them.

Never ran across banding while printing in the IDW enviroment. The only time banding has occured in the IDW print enviroment is to PDF is the settings are set to Standard, a switch to High Quality solves that.

There is no setting in the Print/Printer Options for the HP for a "High Quality" option?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 32
m.granata

Blair,

You are correct with the banding when printing to pdf.  Changing the pdf setting to High Quality stopped the banding when printing to a pdf.  I'd say again I cannot rule out an issue with my Designjet 500.  Wonderful.  But if it is an issue with my printer the pdf files I export from IV Pro 2014 would also have banding when I print them on the Designjet 500 and those don't.  I still don't know for certain what is going on?

Best Regards,

Mike

Message 19 of 32
blair

I wonder if there is a setting simular to the PDF for quality in the HP Printer. Possibly it's running in a Eco-type mode.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 20 of 32
m.granata
in reply to: blair

Blair,

I've tried all the print quality settings I can find and nothing has any affect on the banding.  I've also posted this issue in HP's discussion group and am hoping somebody there will have some suggestions.

Best Regards,

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report