Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White's Aren't Appearing White

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
gsingham
1954 Views, 9 Replies

White's Aren't Appearing White

I've come into a job where the model has already been setup, and I'm doing some major edits. On a few of the tower shell peices, the white is a very bright and strong white which is what we would want and expect. For some reason, the top piece, while using all the same lighting, visual styles, etc., is way more grey in colour. Any ideas? (see attached two images for reference). I've read through a few other posts but none really address the specific issue here.

Thank you,

Gord

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pball
in reply to: gsingham

I found you have to go into the appearance browser find the color and check self illumination in that colors properties. Check out the picture below if that isn't clear enough.

Message 3 of 10
Cadmanto

What version are you running?

Are your graphics drivers up to date?

Are you using the same styles library for all of these files?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 10
gsingham

I've edited the "snow" colour on the grey shell so that it has "self illumination". It's now bleach white, which is mostly a solution to the problem, however it still doesn't match the white of the other piece, which still has shadows which would be nice... If I have to give up shadows to fix this issue I think I'll give up right about here, spent enough time on this colour issue! (Attached the bleach white tower piece to compare to 1.png from initial post)

My version is 2014 professional, I can't say my drivers are all up to date, and these parts are under the same project and are both using the default appearance libraries.

Message 5 of 10
gsingham

An additional question I'd like to throw on here, If I wanted the colour of my part to be red for some assemblies and white for other assemblies it's a part of, is there a simple way to do this? I was going to replicate the part so I could have two versions with one being red and one being white, but this seems a little illogical.

Message 6 of 10
Cadmanto

Are the two parts the same material?  I am not sure that should have any bearing on this, but thought I would ask.

As far as your second question, I would make an ipart factory file out of this part and have each member be a different color.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 10
-niels-
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott, wouldn't it be easier to just make 2 design views for the color instead of making an ipart factory?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: -niels-

If it is all being used in the same model then most definitely the design views would be the way to go.  I was looking at it from if this part had to be used in different models and be a different color.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 10
gsingham
in reply to: Cadmanto

The two parts are the same material (galvanized steel). I spent a good hour or so looking through all the view and appearance settings, I can't find anything different between the two. If I have to make them both bleach in appearance, it's far from the end of the world.

I don't know much about iParts, but I guess now is the time to learn! Thank you for all your help.

Message 10 of 10
gazadder

Just a little bit of extra input here from my observations regarding whites appearing grey. I have just upgraded to 2014 from 2012 but I have noticed that for my colours to look correct (i.e. whites not looking grey) I now need to have light settings set on default instead of 2 lights where my colleage has to have it set opposite for the same result on his 2012 version.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report