Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What tool should I use

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
445 Views, 8 Replies

What tool should I use

The arm of this chair is very dificult to model. It is a cylendrical shape and has a taper. I need to be able to filet it to make it seem rounded however once I block the shape out I lose fileting ability.

How should I approach this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach the ipt file here - it will be easier to communicate with native Inventor geometry than with pdf images.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I have not started working on this chair yet. I have been having problems figuring out a way to start. The shape of the arm is making it dificult for me to know where to begin.

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

".....however once I block the shape out I lose fileting ability."

??????

Make some attempts and attach here for direction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

What about if you start a sketch and then insert your Image of the chair and then trace out the arm. It won't be to scale but you can add dims later.

Or

Make sketch planes going down the arm and sketch the cross profile on each plane. Then do a loft on all the profile sketches.

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

What about if you start a sketch and then insert your Image of the chair and then trace out the arm. It won't be to scale but .

I often use images in sketches - you can scale them pretty close to 1:1 inside of Inventor.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Here is the arm without the taper. If you look at the front sketch you can see it requires a taper. How can i Taper it and keep the rounded look. I know how to make a sketch plane at an angle and cut the shape but after I do that the filet has errors.

Message 8 of 9
rdyson

Is this the taper you're wanting?

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: rdyson

Awesome thank you. I tried useing that but i couldn't figure out which area to pull towards. 

Many thanks,

Josh Pageau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report