Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
2grumpy
Message 1 of 21 (422 Views)

What the..? with surfaces in Inventor

422 Views, 20 Replies
11-02-2011 04:00 PM

i am trying to find answers in Inv help and can not so i decided to ask you guys. Attached is an image from 'browser' - why so many the same surfaces - why each boundary patch is shown in 3 or 4 places why one Boundary patch stays represented as it was and the other get 'hold by hand' and another copy(?) or representation shown in browser?

And at last - question to Autodesk developers - why there is no sufficient information on above matters? or why it can not be find in simple way of typing the "Boundary Patch" and search?:smileymad: :smileysurprised:

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 21 (416 Views)

Re: What the..? with surfaces in Inventor

11-02-2011 04:09 PM in reply to: 2grumpy

The Solid1 in the Solid Bodies folder is created from the Boundary Patches so logic says it has to be listed.
The Boundary Patches are surfaces, so logic says they have to be listed in the Surface Bodies Folder.

The hand means they are shared features.

While Delete Face is certainly a valid techinque in surface modeling - in my experience when I see a feature tree like this - it is almost always a convoluted method to getting the desired geometry.

Given your stated confusion - can you attach the file here for other to perhaps suggest other techniques?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
2grumpy
Message 3 of 21 (411 Views)

11-02-2011 04:43 PM in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for your input. I am working on customer file created in different software and trying to change design of the part. Sorry i can not send the file. i need to opposite hand parts and while i have no problem with creating one solid the other using the same technique does not solidify?

Could you please explain why one of the patch got the hand appearing and what it means?

*Pro
sbixler
Message 4 of 21 (361 Views)

11-03-2011 03:37 AM in reply to: 2grumpy

If you have one hand already modeled properly, then you don't need to model it again for the other hand! Use the Mirror tool, select mirror whole solid, and select the New Solid button.  Now you will have a multibody part with both hands, and you can do additional work on each one separately.  Any time you want to add a new common feature to both, just roll the EOP marker above the mirror feature and add it there.  Then, of course, you create individual parts from those solids (Make Components).

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 21 (351 Views)

11-03-2011 04:01 AM in reply to: 2grumpy

2grumpy wrote:

Could you please explain why one of the patch got the hand appearing and what it means?

I thought I already did.  The hand means the geometry shared by two (or more) features.

In addition to suggestion of modeling multi-body mirrored you could also start new part and Derive Component the mirrored part.

To bad you can't post the file - I would bet there is a significanlty easier way than whatever you are trying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valued Contributor
mbenoy
Message 6 of 21 (316 Views)

11-03-2011 06:39 AM in reply to: 2grumpy

You also might want to take a look at the toggle "Auto-consume work features and surface features" under the "Part" tab in the Options.  You might find that you prefer it the other way.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Inventor 2013 Pro, Windows 7, 64bit
Intel® Xeon® Processor W3580 (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
2grumpy
Message 7 of 21 (278 Views)

11-03-2011 02:56 PM in reply to: JDMather

yes but it is not so clear. i have attached example file to show my issues.

my question are why extending surface 15mm does mean 13.5 mm? why applying different order to stitch i have different result - surf 5 & 6 in part exa5 against 3 & 4 in part exa5a.

also do not understand why to work on surface we have two environments model and construction?

that for start - i still have many more questions. 

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 8 of 21 (275 Views)

11-03-2011 03:26 PM in reply to: 2grumpy

2grumpy wrote:

...also do not understand why to work on surface we have two environments model and construction?

Where are you seeing Construction Environment unless you are using imported data?

As I suspected this is going to be a mess - my initial opinion is that unless I am missing something you are going about this all wrong.

We'll see if we can work towards the solution. (I could be missing something.)

I am going to concentrate first on exa5a.ipt - this might take a while, so bear with me.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 9 of 21 (272 Views)

11-03-2011 03:29 PM in reply to: JDMather

I don't see the logic to Delete Face 2 or 3.

2grumpy
Message 10 of 21 (270 Views)

11-03-2011 03:38 PM in reply to: JDMather

Attached file is example only - the real shape in file i am working is much more complicated and it make sense.

You can see in this very simple, basic shape and even it creates issues.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube