Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welding

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Talayoe
595 Views, 5 Replies

Welding

Hello and good day,

I have been toying with the welding aspect today and cannot figure our how to glue two parts together the way I want.

What I have is two pcs of 1.5" SQ tube (from content center) one with the face butted up against the side of the other. The weld will show on the top and bottom (straight sections) but will not fill the edges where the radius's from the tubing is (are?). Wonder how I can accomplish getting a weld all the way around. 

I am sure it is simple enough... and I appreciate any help, as always! 🙂

tks!

-RandyWeld Joint.jpg

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: Talayoe

I often struggle with weld placement in Inventor (especially with this scenario).  The only way I have come close, is what you see attached.

This is done by doing a Groove Weld. If this works for you, let me know and I will post the steps.
Regards,

HSS weld.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 3 of 6
blair
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

As posted the Groove is the only way I can get it to work. If you really think about it. If you were welding it in real life. You wouldn't be welding the side of the cross tube to the vertical tube, you would be welding the end of the cross tube to the other tube. Some weld may burn through and spill over to the side of the cross tube but in real life you would have to weld the end face of it.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
Talayoe
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Hi GSE & Blair,

If this is the best (or only) way, for sure it will work. If you could outline the step that would be great. 

Also, I have not fiddled with weld muhc before and my weld you can see looks terrible. How do I get it ripply like yours?

tks!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 5 of 6
GSE_Dan_A

1. Select Goove Weld.

2. Select the end face of the Horizontal HSS tube.

3. Select Face Set 2 and then pick the Radius of the Vertical Tube.

4. Make sure to select 'Radial Fill'. 
5. Select Apply.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 for other Radius of Vertical Tube.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 6 of 6
graemev

GSE_Dan_A has it right, but note that you can then do a fillet weld as you have previously done and include the faces of the groove welds to get a full perimeter fillet weld.  (It may look a little odd, but it can be done.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report