Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visibility Shortcut

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
dloganbill
13157 Views, 33 Replies

Visibility Shortcut

Is there a way to add a keyboard shortcut or marking menu shortcut for visibility? It would be really convenient to be able to shift-click several objects and toggle the visibility of them. I have a mouse with numerous buttons that are mapped to commonly used IV features, but I cannot find a way to map a visibility toggle. FYI, I'm using IV Pro 2012 SP1 x64.
Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz; 32 GB RAM; GeForce GTX 680; SSD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
dloganbill
in reply to: dloganbill

Bump
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 34
cwhetten

I don't know of a direct way to do this, but you can select your parts and then right-click and press V on your keyboard.  It's quite fast to do it this way. 

Message 4 of 34
dloganbill
in reply to: cwhetten

Hmm. I know it sounds incredibly lazy, but I was hoping to avoid the right click.
Message 5 of 34
mcgyvr

nope..visibility command is not available for a hotkey or anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 34
dloganbill
in reply to: mcgyvr

So who do we talk to in order to get this functionality added? Surely I'm not the only one who thinks that it would be helpful...
Message 7 of 34
cwhetten

@dloganbill wrote:
Is there a way to add a keyboard shortcut or marking menu shortcut for visibility?

How do you avoid the right click if it is a marking menu shortcut?

Message 8 of 34
dloganbill
in reply to: cwhetten

A marking menu gesture is only a single button press, which is my goal.
Message 9 of 34
cwhetten

It may be possible to write a macro that will toggle the visibility of all selected components, and then bind that macro to a keyboard shortcut.  I'm no VB programmer, but this approach might get you what you seek.

Message 10 of 34
cipet_alok

can make a keyboard shorcut of VISIBILTY command.....i want to make it ctrl+B

can you please help me out.

Message 11 of 34
spsid13
in reply to: cipet_alok

Hi cipet. were you finally able to get a shortcut to turn off/on visibility?

Message 12 of 34
Tommes
in reply to: spsid13

I do need this shortcut also. It is quite time consuming to hide/unhide certain solid bodies several times. Pleas add this shortcut.

Message 13 of 34
elmar88

Still no shortcut for visibility? It would save me so much time and it seems easy to implement

Message 14 of 34
taylor

Switching to inventor from over 10k hrs of SolidWorks right now.   

Lots of things it does better, keybindings are not one of them it seems.  I too would like to see visibility in the short cut menu.

Message 15 of 34
mcgyvr
in reply to: taylor

@Taylor wrote:

Switching to inventor from over 10k hrs of SolidWorks right now.   

Lots of things it does better, keybindings are not one of them it seems.  I too would like to see visibility in the short cut menu.

Alt+V is the out of the box shortcut for visibility in an assembly.. So there is a visibility shortcut..

Please be specific about what you are asking for..

If you are needing to constantly toggle solids in a part then you might want to use design view reps.. 

Oh and don't let the other "Solidworks" guys saying that you like the way Inventor does some things better.. They all seem to be on a "Solidworks is the only right way" kick around here lately.. Or pat yourself on the back for actually learning the differences and putting some thought into it.. Smiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 16 of 34
taylor

Thanks for the reply!

I'm looking for a short cut to hide and show bodies / sketches / planes / etc. in my parts.  I like that visibility can be used on different features / parts etc I was hoping it would have a short cut in the part context.  I would also be thrilled with a way to filter keyboard shortcut list by typing keywords.

I don't mind the hurdles / differences / learning, I'd rather not be chained to any particular software... and SolidWorks is refusing to allow me to download services packs / versions I've already paid for so I figured now is a good time to switch.

Message 17 of 34
mcgyvr

@Taylor wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

I'm looking for a short cut to hide and show bodies / sketches / planes / etc. in my parts.  I like that visibility can be used on different features / parts etc I was hoping it would have a short cut in the part context.  I would also be thrilled with a way to filter keyboard shortcut list by typing keywords.

I don't mind the hurdles / differences / learning, I'd rather not be chained to any particular software... and SolidWorks is refusing to allow me to download services packs / versions I've already paid for so I figured now is a good time to switch.

There is currently no shortcut/hotkey for visibility in the many areas of a part file.. That is only accessible via the right click menus at this time..

It would be useful.. (I dont' see anything on the Inventor ideastation about it and I may put that request in when I get a chance.. I could use it too.. It may speed me up a little bit..

As to switching because you can't get a service pack? If you are just a personal user/student then no big deal...

BUT...If you actually work at a company and are wanting to switch software just because of that then that sounds very foolish... (no offence please) That could cost you hundreds and thousands of hours of work remodeling files,etc.. when a single phone call/trouble ticket to Solidworks would get you access to what you have paid for.. 

Even though both software packages allow you to open files from each other (for the most part) the feature tree is lost.. So in the future you might need to change a hole size in a file and you no longer have the ability to just edit that hole feature in the history/feature tree and must do other longer workarounds.. And many other reasons why switching midstream is a horrible idea.. 

If I worked somewhere and the cad department decided to switch cad programs just because of that.. well there would be an opening in that department very quick.. again.. no offense.. But switching cad programs is a huge issue that shouldn't just happen because you are having download troubles..

Message 18 of 34
taylor

The right click menu is fine, but I prefer to use keybindings whenever possible for expediency.  It takes a little longer to learn but the end result is a much faster interface with the software.

I work at a product design consultancy, 99% of the time there is no need to go back and rework old files.  I can still reference my old work using inventor. There are two reasons not to abandon SolidWorks, client preferences and our custom built SolidWorks toolbox (aside from the cost of learning).  They are both good reasons I doubt we'll fully abandon SolidWorks any time soon, but for now I have freedom on both accounts.

Message 19 of 34
SteveMDennis

@taylor @mcgyvr

OK time for me to fall on my sword a bit here.

My team did add the ability to assign a shortcut key to the Visibility command in Inventor 2016. The history is that many context menu commands (those that have no Ribbon equivalent) were not shortcut enabled for some reason I don't know. So we reclassified it and allowed it.

The mea culpa part is for some reason we ONLY did the assembly visibility command. Don't ask me why, it's my teams fault for not doing the complete job here.

I will have Dan add a story to allow PART visibility command to have a shortcut assigned.

Sorry for the oversight.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 34
taylor
in reply to: SteveMDennis

@SteveMDennis

Thank you, great to hear the problem is being addressed!  Do you know roughly when is the next patch scheduled, or will Inventor auto-update without any action on my part?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report