Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewers, viewers and more viewers

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Prototype
235 Views, 19 Replies

Viewers, viewers and more viewers

Ok, few questions, my company just got Ivn9, we haven't install it yet.

1) Inventor View 1.0
I just installed this. It can view native Inv models and drawings. It's nice and simple. Are there going to be any enhancements to this program later on? Perhaps taking measurements?

2) Volo View
Will Inv9 support Volo view? Will there be a patch or a new release of VV for Inv9? I can't get a strait answer on this.

3) DWF Viewer 5
If there won't be any more support for VV, then will this be the new format we have to save in order for people who do not have Inv can take measurements and do markups? (I know only this can be done with DWF Composer)

Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Prototype

Hi there - I think i can answer your questions 1) Inventor View 1.0 I just installed this. It can view native Inv models and drawings. It's nice and simple. Are there going to be any enhancements to this program later on? Perhaps taking measurements? A: Well... I can't actually answer this one - We can't talk about future stuff. 2) Volo View Will Inv9 support Volo view? Will there be a patch or a new release of VV for Inv9? I can't get a strait answer on this. A: We will not be releasing an update for Volo View for Inventor 9. Autodesk as an entire company (not just the manufacturing division) is moving toward the retirement of Volo View. 3) DWF Viewer 5 If there won't be any more support for VV, then will this be the new format we have to save in order for people who do not have Inv can take measurements and do markups? (I know only this can be done with DWF Composer) A: Yes - DWF is the preferred format for sharing your data. Many people have asked for 3D support with DWF and now Inventor 9 supports the publishing of parts and assemblies. DWF is your best bet for sharing data, regardless of what Autodesk app it was published from (Inventor, ACAD, ACAD M, ACAD E...) -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

Will DWF Composer have the ability to open a Native file, be it DWG, IPT, IAM and so on and then allow you to publish DWF in the same environment. This would be similar to the way eDrawings works. As well, you would no longer require Inventor Viewer. "Brian Roepke (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40f72766$1_3@newsprd01... > Hi there - I think i can answer your questions > > 1) Inventor View 1.0 > I just installed this. It can view native Inv models and drawings. It's > nice and simple. Are there going to be any enhancements to this program > later on? Perhaps taking measurements? > > A: Well... I can't actually answer this one - We can't talk about future > stuff. > > 2) Volo View > Will Inv9 support Volo view? Will there be a patch or a new release of VV > for Inv9? I can't get a strait answer on this. > > A: We will not be releasing an update for Volo View for Inventor 9. > Autodesk as an entire company (not just the manufacturing division) is > moving toward the retirement of Volo View. > > 3) DWF Viewer 5 > If there won't be any more support for VV, then will this be the new format > we have to save in order for people who do not have Inv can take > measurements and do markups? (I know only this can be done with DWF > Composer) > > A: Yes - DWF is the preferred format for sharing your data. Many people > have asked for 3D support with DWF and now Inventor 9 supports the > publishing of parts and assemblies. DWF is your best bet for sharing data, > regardless of what Autodesk app it was published from (Inventor, ACAD, ACAD > M, ACAD E...) > > -- > Thanks, > > Brian Roepke > Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

Brian: you missed the big question in #3, Can people (our customers) read IV files and check measurements without Composer? When I send an Approval drawing to a customer, they need to know specific dimensions. Each customer has different limitations in their factory when fitting a machine near walls, aisles & columns. With a 140' machine, you can fit only a limited number of dimensions on it. None of our customers will be willing to pay $200 for a one-time-use of Composer. We may be one of your few customers that are in this type of situation. I just feel you had a good thing back when VV was free. "Brian Roepke (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40f72766$1_3@newsprd01... > Hi there - I think i can answer your questions > > 1) Inventor View 1.0 > I just installed this. It can view native Inv models and drawings. It's > nice and simple. Are there going to be any enhancements to this program > later on? Perhaps taking measurements? > > A: Well... I can't actually answer this one - We can't talk about future > stuff. > > 2) Volo View > Will Inv9 support Volo view? Will there be a patch or a new release of VV > for Inv9? I can't get a strait answer on this. > > A: We will not be releasing an update for Volo View for Inventor 9. > Autodesk as an entire company (not just the manufacturing division) is > moving toward the retirement of Volo View. > > 3) DWF Viewer 5 > If there won't be any more support for VV, then will this be the new format > we have to save in order for people who do not have Inv can take > measurements and do markups? (I know only this can be done with DWF > Composer) > > A: Yes - DWF is the preferred format for sharing your data. Many people > have asked for 3D support with DWF and now Inventor 9 supports the > publishing of parts and assemblies. DWF is your best bet for sharing data, > regardless of what Autodesk app it was published from (Inventor, ACAD, ACAD > M, ACAD E...) > > -- > Thanks, > > Brian Roepke > Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 5 of 20
Prototype

Phil,

If I'm not mistaken you can only open up DWF file, no native files of any autodesk programs. Again I think.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

You are correct. What I was asking was whether or not Autodesk is considering having Composer open Native files as well as DWF. As well, allow Composer users the ability to publish DWF when a mark up file is required. This would give users one viewer that could do anything. I think the DWF format and strategy is excellent. By adding Native Viewing and Publishing to Composer it would allow for non IV users to be able to participate in creating DWF's. As it stands today, more work is required by the Engineer to continue being the sole Publisher of those files. I think this would improve sales of Composer in the long run. It is the first release of 3D DWF and I like where things are so far. I guess I am just wish-listing. :) "Prototype" wrote in message news:13236190.1089989913481.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Phil, > > If I'm not mistaken you can only open up DWF file, no native files of any autodesk programs. Again I think.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

I can't say whether or not we are going to do it (you know the drill) - but i can say that it is something we have talked about and isn't out of the question for some future release. -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

Hi Doug, No - Users are required to purchase DWF Composer in order to either measure or markup drawings. This is similar to the way Adobe does acrobat - in order to use their markup tools you need a full seat of Acrobat - not just reader. I understand your workflow - the exception to this rule is by using Streamline - streamline uses DWF composer and will allow you to give suppliers access to drawings, let them markup without having them own a seat of composer. That might not be an ideal answer either, but it may work in your situation. -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

I believe there is still a free DWF printer driver availible, and one of the things I am working on for for R9 is the ability for anyone with Design Assistant installed to be able to RMB on a IDW in windows explorer and print it. Actually anyone running R9 that would like to help test it I would be grateful for the help. -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "Dr. Phil-IT" wrote in message news:40f7f502$1_2@newsprd01... > You are correct. What I was asking was whether or not Autodesk is > considering having Composer open Native files as well as DWF. As well, allow > Composer users the ability to publish DWF when a mark up file is required. > This would give users one viewer that could do anything. > I think the DWF format and strategy is excellent. By adding Native Viewing > and Publishing to Composer it would allow for non IV users to be able to > participate in creating DWF's. As it stands today, more work is required by > the Engineer to continue being the sole Publisher of those files. > I think this would improve sales of Composer in the long run. > It is the first release of 3D DWF and I like where things are so far. I > guess I am just wish-listing. :) > > > > "Prototype" wrote in message > news:13236190.1089989913481.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Phil, > > > > If I'm not mistaken you can only open up DWF file, no native files of any > autodesk programs. Again I think. > >
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Autodesk DWF Composer does have a DWG file viewer included with it. Cheers, -Shaan http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/ "Dr. Phil-IT" wrote in message news:40f73214$1_2@newsprd01... > Will DWF Composer have the ability to open a Native file, be it DWG, IPT, > IAM and so on and then allow you to publish DWF in the same environment. > This would be similar to the way eDrawings works. As well, you would no > longer require Inventor Viewer. > >
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

Kent, You are correct, there will continue to be a DWF printer driver available and updated from time to time. Cheers, -Shaan http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/ "Kent Keller" wrote in message news:40f7fae4$1_3@newsprd01... >I believe there is still a free DWF printer driver availible, and one of >the > things I am working on for for R9 is the ability for anyone with Design > Assistant installed to be able to RMB on a IDW in windows explorer and > print > it. Actually anyone running R9 that would like to help test it I would > be > grateful for the help. > -- > Kent Keller > Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator > > > "Dr. Phil-IT" wrote in message > news:40f7f502$1_2@newsprd01... >> You are correct. What I was asking was whether or not Autodesk is >> considering having Composer open Native files as well as DWF. As well, > allow >> Composer users the ability to publish DWF when a mark up file is >> required. >> This would give users one viewer that could do anything. >> I think the DWF format and strategy is excellent. By adding Native >> Viewing >> and Publishing to Composer it would allow for non IV users to be able to >> participate in creating DWF's. As it stands today, more work is required > by >> the Engineer to continue being the sole Publisher of those files. >> I think this would improve sales of Composer in the long run. >> It is the first release of 3D DWF and I like where things are so far. I >> guess I am just wish-listing. :) >> >> >> >> "Prototype" wrote in message >> news:13236190.1089989913481.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> > Phil, >> > >> > If I'm not mistaken you can only open up DWF file, no native files of > any >> autodesk programs. Again I think. >> >> > >
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

I do not see that extension in my DWF composer. Is there something that i am missing? "Shaan Hurley, Autodesk, Inc." wrote in message news:40f8179a$1_2@newsprd01... > Autodesk DWF Composer does have a DWG file viewer included with it. > > Cheers, > -Shaan > http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/ > > "Dr. Phil-IT" wrote in message > news:40f73214$1_2@newsprd01... > > Will DWF Composer have the ability to open a Native file, be it DWG, IPT, > > IAM and so on and then allow you to publish DWF in the same environment. > > This would be similar to the way eDrawings works. As well, you would no > > longer require Inventor Viewer. > > > > > > >
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

So there is no DWG viewer in the series anymore? -- Drew Fulford, B.A.Sc. Autodesk Manufacturing Products Manager Solid Caddgroup Inc. Burlington, Ontario Tel: (905)331-9670, Toll Free: 1-(866) 698-2831, Fax: (905)331-7280 Corporate: http://www.solidcadcam.com/ Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program Visit my MCAD website @ http://www.mymcad.com/ "Brian Roepke (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40f7fb5b$1_1@newsprd01... > Hi Doug, > > No - Users are required to purchase DWF Composer in order to either measure > or markup drawings. This is similar to the way Adobe does acrobat - in > order to use their markup tools you need a full seat of Acrobat - not just > reader. > > I understand your workflow - the exception to this rule is by using > Streamline - streamline uses DWF composer and will allow you to give > suppliers access to drawings, let them markup without having them own a seat > of composer. That might not be an ideal answer either, but it may work in > your situation. > > -- > Thanks, > > Brian Roepke > Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

You can get the DWG viewer in three different places 1) with your license of DWF Composer 2) with your license of AIS or AIP - it is on the Vault CD 3) with ACE or ACE - it is on the Vault CD the DWG viewer is a separate application from the DWF Composer - it is basically a scaled back version of AutoCAD. -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

the DWG viewer is a separate application from the DWF Composer - it is basically a scaled back version of AutoCAD. -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

Yes you are right, It is on the CD. Thanks Brian. "Brian Roepke (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40f825fc$1_1@newsprd01... > the DWG viewer is a separate application from the DWF Composer - it is > basically a scaled back version of AutoCAD. > > -- > Thanks, > > Brian Roepke > Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

Brian, I am aware that the DWG viewer is a separate application but was not aware it was on the Vault CD. Thank you. Shaan "Brian Roepke (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40f825f6$1_2@newsprd01... > You can get the DWG viewer in three different places > > 1) with your license of DWF Composer > 2) with your license of AIS or AIP - it is on the Vault CD > 3) with ACE or ACE - it is on the Vault CD > > the DWG viewer is a separate application from the DWF Composer - it is > basically a scaled back version of AutoCAD. > > -- > Thanks, > > Brian Roepke > Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

Yes - the "Vault" CD is the companion disk that is shipped with all of the MSD products. -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

I seem to remember that Inventor used to imbed DWF data into an IDW file unless you turned this feature off. Is this still an option? The reason I ask is that our in-house shop personnel need to be able to open native Inventor files to print them and take measurements when needed. These files are frequently updated so it is impractical to publish them as a DWF file every time we make a change. Imbedding the DWF data in native Inventor files so that Composer could open the files would seem to be a reasonable solution. But I have been unable to find any information on imbedding DWF data. If imbedding DWF data is no longer an option, how would Autodesk suggest we approach providing file viewing, printing, and measuring for our shop personnel assuming we are unwilling to burden our engineer's with remembering to publish a DWF file every time they save a file. The fact that Autodesk is dropping VoloView means that solution is no longer acceptable. And my understanding is that the Inventor viewer does not support measurements, so it will not meet our needs. Automating the creation of a DWF file would be ok as long as it is commensurate with either the save command or closing of an open file. I just do not want to have to remember to create a DWF every time a file is modified. Should we forget, the shop personnel could be accessing an old DWF assuming it was current leading to fabrication problems. Thanks for your help! Sincerely, Michael
Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

Hi Michael - The embedding of the DWF file in the IDW was taken out a few releases ago (IV6 or so). For your situation, you can get auto-republishing if you are using Autodesk Vault. There is a way to set up the vault to create a new DWF file for any IDW, IAM or IPT that you wish, every time you check the file back into the vault. The DWF file can also automatically be sent to a simple network folder so everyone on the shop floor has access. The vault is on your IV9 CD (number 3 i think) - check it out if you aren't already using it. -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report