Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Rep behavior multi-level Assemblies.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
CadUser46
496 Views, 9 Replies

View Rep behavior multi-level Assemblies.

Im sure im missing some obvious answer here but this piece of behavior is annoying me.

Lets say i have an existing three level assembly. Assy1>Assy2>Assy3.  If i go back to Assy 2 and turn off the visiblity or change the colour of one or more parts in Assy3 (Default view rep of Assy2) shouldnt Assy1 automatically inherit these changes?

I ask this because if i start a new Assy (lets call it Assy4 and placed the modified Assy2 into it, it automatically shows it with the visiblity or colour changes.

How do i get existing parents to inherit the changes from the children?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: CadUser46

@CadUser46 wrote:

Im sure im missing some obvious answer here but this piece of behavior is annoying me.

Lets say i have an existing three level assembly. Assy1>Assy2>Assy3.  If i go back to Assy 2 and turn off the visiblity or change the colour of one or more parts in Assy3 (Default view rep of Assy2) shouldnt Assy1 automatically inherit these changes?

I ask this because if i start a new Assy (lets call it Assy4 and placed the modified Assy2 into it, it automatically shows it with the visiblity or colour changes.

How do i get existing parents to inherit the changes from the children?

When you create these "lower" level View Reps, is your parent level still on "Master" view rep?  I don't do this a lot, but what I've experienced is that if you want to change view reps at a lower level, you first need to create a new View Rep at the top level, then move down through the lower levels and make your changes.  The Master view rep on the top level, ( I think) generally wants to reflect the "as modeled" colors and visibilities.

Now, if you have already done the lower level reps, you SHOULD be able to go back to the top level and create a new one there and then save.  Others might have some more insight into this.

Message 3 of 10
CadUser46
in reply to: cbenner

I thought that would be the case as well but A. generally im always on the default rep at all levels and B. you cant reference View Reps in parents the same as Positional or LOD so i cant apply the changes i made at the lower level.

Im on IV 2012.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 4 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! To propagate the design view from sub level to upper level, you can right-click on the sub component node in the browser -> Representation -> set it to the desirable design view on the sub level.

Inventor design view allows users to manage sub component's visibility and appearance in the hosting assembly. The visibility and appearance setting is saved in the design view in the hosting assembly (level). This behavior is to help users who design sub components shared by multiple assemblies and the visibility and appearance of the sub components can vary. It is very flexible and versatile. Plus, by saving these attributes in the hosting assembly, it minimizes the need to store the data in sub components and dirty sub component documents constantly. However, for users who do not design sub components this way, it could be confusing from time to time.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
CadUser46
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson.  I would like to say i have a firm grasp of the concept but i need to add to the confusion here.

I always thought it should work the same as the behavior i know to be true for POS & LOD but have never once seen the child view rep available for selction in the parent, hence my question.  I did some more digging and have managed to find a small number of child assemblies that do allow me to select the childs Default view rep. 

Why can i only see it for some and not others?  If i always work in Default shouldnt i see a Default rep within every child assembly?

Whats the trigger to enable its visibilty in the parent?

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 6 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! The ones showing DV in the children indicate the DVs are associative to the parent DV. It means any change inthe child DV will be automatically reflected in the parent DV. The ones do not have DV in the children mean that the child DV are set to Master on placement (default) and the child components visibility and appearance and be changed.

You can try changing one of the sub component with associative DV ot parent. You will get a warning dialog asking if you want to break the association.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 10
CadUser46

Thanks for the clarification. I always wondered what that message meant. Is there a way to re-associate the child DV?

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 8 of 10
CadUser46

So there is no way to re-associate the child DV once its broken?

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 9 of 10
rdyson

I think this is what you want.

Image1.pngImage2.png

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 10
CadUser46
in reply to: rdyson

Yes rdyson that is what i was looking for.  I coincidentally found it yesterday while working with another guy in my team on something else.  I also found the source of my problem.

If you have an assembly that is saved in the Master rep and place this into a parent assembly, the DV is not available.  It is only available by one of two methods.  Either the child assy must have the default DV active before placing into parent assembly or you must re-associate the default DV by the method rdyson showed.

Currently using 2023 Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report